open carry! what states is it legal? and who does it?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by gaspump86, May 14, 2012.

1. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

I live in Florida where open carry is only legal when hunting, fishing, camping, or while going to or from doing one of these. Just curious if any of you guys and girls do it and what state you live in, and how people and Leos react??????

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I'm not a fan of open carry, there is no reason that anyone needs to know.

I have had a very bad experience with someone I was with who open carried:mad:

I can promise you wont catch me open carrying...ever.

3. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

You can in michigan. The only time I do is when im goin to my friends to do some shooting. I kind think it brings unwanted attention though.

4. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Im not sure but i feel like it is a deterrent of crime.... i mean if everyone in the country that has cwp did open carry, i think there would be less violent crimes!

5. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

It's legal in Ohio.

6. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I thought that too but if a bg wants to rob some place and sees you have a gun wouldn't that make you more of a first target?

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

That's one way to look at but it might also make him think twice if he knows for certain someone may shoot back. Works for the police.

8. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

You would need a good holster that would be hard for someone to take the gun from you.

I see your point. I guess its easier to get the drop on someone if they are open and you are concealed.

9. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

I believe it! Just YouTube search open carry and you will see alot of people getting into confrontations with police for doing something that is legal! They get treated like criminals!
    People call the cops cause they see someone doing O.C.... it makes them uncomfortable... when is the last time you did not exercise your rights because it made someone uncomfortable?

10. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Legal in Nevada. I OC occasionally. There's a Starbucks 2 blocks from me and they're OC friendly. When I do OC (and there's a group that does it on a regular basis on the Strip) I DO see the wide-eyed "Oh my god he's got a gun" look from the tourists, mainly the ones from the Peoples' Яepublik of Kalifornia. One afternoon I was at a Mickey D's just up the street from where I live. Ordered a burger, fries and Coke to go and while waiting for my food, a Metro motorcycle officer came in and ordered. He noticed my gun and we stood there and discussed the pros and cons of my carry weapon (Sig) and his (Glock). North Las Vegas cops seem to think that OC isn't legal and they will hassle people. That's tapering off because of the number of lawsuits that have been filed against NLV.

11. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

Pa. is an open carry state, always has been.

I'm also not in favor of doing this, even though it is good to know that one can. With the attitudes of people today, other than those like minded of here, it is likely more trouble that it may be worth to open carry. As with many things in this world, just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that one should.

One thing I have found that is not comforting is the apparent attitudes, also, of those that profess to actively open carry. Now, whether this is just computer based machismo or not is to be seen, but the noise that I've heard over time on other boards is a bit radical for my tastes. In all fairness, I haven't heard much of it on here, to those that do open carry's credit. The responsibility of open carrying seems lost on some and that's sad. With things as they are, I believe it entails more personal responsibility to open carry than concealed. If you think about it, you'll see what I mean.

12. vincent

vincent New Member

^^^This^^^

Nailed it wjn, +1

Legal here in NC but so is smoking and drinking, doesn't mean you should do it.

Fair warning, while all folks here appreciate the right (those that have it) to OC, the general concensus is that it's more of a risk than anything else.

We have to accept the fact that there will always be opposition to guns no matter what we say or do. We can't beat people over the head with our opinions and most of the OC crowd seems to have that as their primary motivation to carry a firearm. Not saying you fall into this category but from my experience, the people that are OC "advocates" carry openly as some method of making a statement. IMHO that's the wrong way to go about it.

13. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Im not radical about it. I just would like to have the right. I think if everyone who had a cwp would OC there would be less crime. My opinion l. I appreciate everyone's input.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  14. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Point taken

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm in ma cc only. I would like the option to oc but still don't think I would do it.

16. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

17. vincent

vincent New Member

People who have a CWP/CCW/CCL have it for a reason...to conceal. Why would anyone go to the trouble of getting a permit in the first place if OC is their method of carry???:confused: In NC, no permit of any kind is needed to OC, just for handgun purchase.

As far as OC being a deterrent...that's waaaay to subjective to make any accurate assessment. I've never seen any data on the number of crimes OC'ers have prevented by their presence, if you've found something reliable, please link us up...:cool:

18. levelcross

levelcross New Member

In NC, I do at work, everywhere else it is concealed as I don't like a target on my back.

19. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

Its not legal where i live. So to carry in FL, you must have CWP. I would like to be able to though.

20. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

In some OC states a permit is required.