Open carry...what police think about-it...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by LONGHAIR, Nov 21, 2011.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I was thinking if I was a cop and seen somebody with open-carry..What's the first thing going to be to cross my mined...Impersonating a police officer,or who is this guy...Anybody know how there trained to deal with that???...I was just woundering....I guess it happens all the time somewhere....

2. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I’m not a LEO, but if I was I’d think; ‘This guy’s okay because he’s not trying to hide it’.
    Quickly followed by, ‘Except maybe he’s trying to fool me into thinking he’s okay by not hiding it’.
    But then I’d think 'I’m probably just being paranoid and he really is probably okay’.
    Except that, 'I’m a LEO and I’d better check him out to make sure because that’s my job and I'd be negligent if I didn't'.
    Followed by, 'Geez, I sure hope he's okay because I sure don't want to get in a gun fight today'.

Like I said, I'm not a LEO.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends on where you are- training, policy and procedure will vary greatly- along with WHERE is the person carrying.

Walking into a public business- gas station, Mickey Dees, etc, would probably get a different reaction than walking into a college.

Here- basically a gun friendly state, thought process is probably something like "Looks old enough to possess. Does not look like raving loonie. Behavior fits the 95% normal pattern. Not illegal. Minimal response from people around them (no one fleeing in panic from something I did not see). Nice Colt."

Philly? "GET ON THE GROUND!"

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

What's that policy? Oh yeah, probable cause.

I know how the LEOS, in my town handle it. If you look straight, they may ask for your permit. If you don't look straight, they WILL ask for your permit. In my mom's town, every one knows everyone, so the LEOS already know if your straight, and don't really care if you have a permit. As long as they know your not a felon.

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Where I live people look at you funny when your NOT carrying a gun... :p

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Some think it's a great idea and wished more would carry, i.e. the couple of sheriff's who have publicly suggested they can no longer protect, and then there's others who think they should be the only ones allowed to own, much less carry, i.e. the nut case LEO in OH.

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I didn't hear about the nut case LEO in Ohio. What happened?

8. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I guess they train them on how to deal with people in many ways....

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If we had open carry in Florida, I still don't think I would use that option. It is just such a bigger advangage to have a stealth weapon than an exposed one.

No one expects this grey haired old man to have a 1911 on his hip, and I like it that way.

10. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I live in Las Vegas and open carry quite a bit. As for LEO responses, they don't really give it much attention. As an example, I was in a Mickey D's waiting for my order when a Metro motorcycle officer came in and ordered some food. He noticed the Sig on my hip and we spent the time waiting for our food to arrive discussing the pros and cons of my weapon (Sig) and his weapon (Glock).

The only "looks" I got were the wide-eyed "Oh my God he has a gun" looks from the Kommiefornia tourists that were sitting in the store eating.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm gonna start OCing a freaking pipe wrench.

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I would think they would at the very least wonder what you are doing with the gun. If you look like a shady/mean fellow, they may be more likely to question you about it than the friendly looking fellow standing behind you.

I have never been a big fan of open carry. It will make some people nervous, will eventually get the cops called on you by someone who doesn't understand gun laws, and lets the badguy know you have a gun.

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I do not have a problem with it as long as it is legal in the state. However unless I was an officer on duty with a badge displayed I would never carry open carry. And even at that you are still a target. First of all if I was unaware of the bad guy and a hold up he may be getting ready to commit, guess who he knows could be his main threat and who he might shoot first out of the blue with out warning to eliminate any chance of him getting shot. "ME" as his main target. To me the element of surprise is the best advantage when in a critical confrontation. Although it is the second amendment right which I respect in the states that allow open carry. It does not offend me at all. Just something in a civilian capacity I would not do.
    I would rather strike like a cobra out of the blue and shoot the dirt bag!

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Seems to be pretty overwhelming support in the theory "Concealed means concealed"

I have to say I agree, even though I've been know to OC on occasion.

15. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

My personal belief:

Open carry is a GREAT idea, regardless of where you are. There are some folks I believe should be REQUIRED to carry a handgun... open or concealed.

School bus drivers should be REQUIRED to carry. School teachers should be REQUIRED to carry.

There should be no such thing as an "unarmed security guard."

I would feel a *LOT* better if I were eating in McDonald's with the majority of the patrons being VISIBLY strapped.

I believe marksmanship should be an elective taught in Jr. High and High School.

I learned more FACTUAL history about the Civil War from DZScubie than I *EVER* learned in school. Want to learn about the Revolutionary War and the TRUE history of the founding of our country? Go to an Appleseed event.

I long for the day there is no more ATF or EPA...

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q83mfdPZcko]Ohio Cop goes berserk - YouTube[/ame]

17. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

OH GOODIE! More cop bashing on FTF! Who needs Google, anyway? :rolleyes:

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Is it cop bashing if it's a link to a video?

19. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

Let's just keep beating dead horses around here. How many OTHER times do you think that video has been linked here on FTF? Why not just link to the thread on here where it was already discussed? Because that's not good enough. The "new generation" here wants to get their digs in every chance they get.

LEOs didn't create the "Us vs. Them" mentality... they reacted to it. This forum is already gaining the reputation as not being "cop friendly" on other forums... which is where all the cops here will eventually end up going. Most won't even say anything, they'll just "taper off" until enough people "come and go" here that they're not even remembered.

I'll be the a-hole and actually SAY something about it.

20. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Speaking as a cop...here in Arizona...if I see someone packing openly...meh. No big deal. I have ZERO need to talk to them if they're just going about their business. After all...it IS their business.

Do I support your right to open carry? Yes, absolutely. 110%. You damned betcha!

Do I question the wisdom (or extreme lack of it) of open carry in urban areas? ABSOLUTELY.

Why let some turd know you're the one he has to shoot first?