Open Carry vs Conceal Carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by partdeux, Jun 2, 2013.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I know there are some very strong opinions on this subject
    Open Carriers are always shot first, Conceal Carriers become unknown targets.

Personally, I do both, depending on the situation.

I offer this as a thought provoking incident that initially appeared in the local MI forum. The OP lives right across the street from the person this story was written about. He always open carries in his neighborhood. His neighbor always conceal carries. He said the hoods give him wide berth. I know it's anecdotal, but still...

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I only open carry in the woods. No sense in get a certain % of the general population all excited over nothing . Also don't to give any heads up to a bg. I rather just blend into a crowd. Only have 26 years of CC'n.

anecdotal here say , what would archy bunker have said > aaa jeeesss !!!! Carry how you wish.

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I, like partduex, do both depending on the situation. I really could care less who gets irritated or upset about my choice to open carry, as Im not doing anything illegal. Just like my "piss on obama" sticker may upset or irritate some people but Im not taking it off my truck.

Ive never had anyone say or doing anything while Im oc'ing either.

Just my .02

4. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I never open carry, except maybe when I leave the range and I only live 1 mile from my local range. I think it's more a matter of not wanting to draw unwanted attention to myself, and these days people call the cops if they see someone sitting in their car, so carrying a gun open they will dam sure call, repeatedly. I just modified my shirt wardrobe so that I wear longer shirts to cover my holster.

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I've CC'd for 17 years now and only OC'd while hunting, however, I did attend an OC Rally 2 months ago and openly carried my 4" Kimber for the first time in public.

It was really no big deal and I fully support anyone who chooses to OC... even the U Tube commando's... yeah, some of them are nuckle heads but overall I think they do a good job confronting 4A abuses and educating LEO's in the process.

That activity is not for me, due to my career I simply can't have half my local population seeing me as a gun nut but I have a lot of respect for these guys and the balls it takes to put themselves out there for the "certain" LEO confrontations ^^THIS^^ activity enduces.

Good Job OCer's!

Tack

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have no problem with OC. I do it when the lack of desire is present to make me hide it. I don't buy the you're a target or we need to pacify non gun people. Maybe if they seen some more holstered weapons they wouldn't get so bent. And I don't know about any of you but the last guy I wanna rob is a person with a gun on their hip.;)

7. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

I only open carry because I feel it is a much bigger deterrent for criminals if they can see that someone is carrying a gun. I have only had to draw once when I noticed 2 men grabbing a woman in an alley. Several very heated situations have calmed right down as soon as those involved noticed I had a gun on my hip.

I am not to worried about people calling the cops or getting riled up about me choosing to OC simply because I quit caring a long time ago what people think. If someone does not like how I choose to exercise my right to carry that is their problem and they can jump off a bridge for all I care.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I feel the exact same as the last 3 times we've covered this OC vs CC thing ;)

9. improvised_prepper

improvised_prepper New Member

I've been open carrying in for about a month now, in South Salt Lake. I work nights and pretty random shifts so on my days off I just get all my stuff done at night, groceries, walk the dog, the gym, all that good stuff. Even at 3am I've haven't received any grief from OCing around the city.

I probably would feel better about CCing but I don't have the funds for another/concealable pistol at the moment. I probably could conceal mine but it's just more comfortable to OC a full sized, I'm not a big dude either so it would make it even more of a pain to conceal it.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am watching this thread closely. We just recently closed a thread very, very similar to this because it got out of control. Please, stick to facts and keep it civil.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Was it the open carrier, or the concealed carrier that the turd attempted to rob? I'm confused on that point.

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Not soooo close Winds... I've got "eyeball dents" poking out of my monitor! Geez! :p

Tack

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

And yes, dear winds, I'll keep my cool.

I'm going to use my newfound mobile app "like.....", "dislike....", and "indifferent..." Powers.

So far, whole thread is "liked......"

;)

For those not in the know, I'm freaking rabid on the subject of exercising your rights HOW THE HELL EVER any free man or woman sees fit.

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I thought it was the CC'r who stopped the robbery...

I think the OP's point was that the OC'r was not targeted by the punk with the stun gun... the CC'r was.

Tack

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's what I was getting the impression of. It just seemed kinda confusing.

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Does it matter ? Its all hear say and at best a one off thang. carry how you wish .

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Believe me, Trip. That warning was not just for you.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Open carry recently passed in MS and will be allowed beginning in July. I don't see many occasions for me to use it, but I will consider it an option when it would be appropriate. The only thing that worries me is that, of my friends, the people most happy to see it and willing to participate are not what I would consider the most......restraint-blessed or firearms safety-enthused people. I do wonder if it will cut down on robberies of convenience stores, since a potential thief will know that odds of Bubba beer buyer in the cooler packing heat are pretty high.

FTR, I did have a roommate named Bubba when I was in college, smart kid, became an architect IIRC. Now my Grandma's old neighbor "Dude", well her name seemed odd.

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

OC is not the law of the land in Florida....yet. I can not for-see any circumstances where I would prefer to carry openly if/when they change the law. We are allowed to carry openly when fishing, hunting, camping, or while involved in shooting activities, or on the way to and from these activities, which covers about all of my needs. I just don't see me openly carrying at the grocery store.

20. orangello

orangello New Member

I have actually thought of a case in which MS's new open carry law would allow me to hold my pistol close in a situation that could potentially be safer with a pistol at hand. I buy ethanol-free fuel at a fairly ghetto gas station next to two poorly-lit areas of approach. Usually, I leave my pistol on my car seat when I am filling up, just within reach, sometimes with the door open. When OC passes, I guess I will just clip my designated car holster (generic large semi-auto size with extra mag holder) onto my front pocket.

So, once a week, I will feel a little safer for the ten minutes it takes me to fuel up.

I blame Obama for making buy safe fuel in the ghetto. (Ghetto is relative; this is in a small town with very few roving gangs of muggers; in my old neighborhood in Memphis, I kept one hand on a knife and my back to the car.)