Open carry in Philly

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by fireguy, May 16, 2011.

1. fireguy

fireguy New Member

2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

The guy open-carrying was in his rights, and I add, as well, a perfect gentleman for one his age. The police, whom many I suspect are ex-Burger King employees who upon passing civil exam tests are given a carte blanche to do as they please with civilians. Constitutional Rights should be an important aspect taught at the police academy before graduation day. We are not the enemy. Those drug-dealing thug-wanna-be's they pass everyday in the normal course of their duty, are. The DA in this case is just as pathetic a fool as was those officers.

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Good for him, it looks like a big fat settlement will be coming his way ;)

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Can't read the link on my BB but would only add that unlike the rest of PA, Philadelphia County requires a CCW for open carry. Sounds like an oxymoron I know but Philly is a Class 1 municipality, the only one in the State far as I know.

5. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Exactly right.

Openly Carrying a Firearm/Gun in Pennsylvania

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Has anyone heard the audio? Dude was setting up the police and carrying a recorder. Plus, duder has his CCW and let the police know, but the police still overstepped their powers. The Executive Branch enforces the laws, but what happens when the enforcers don't know the law?

7. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The audio is available in 4 parts on Youtube.

The guy was discharged from the service, and apparently has a record, but apparently nothing so serious as to prevent him from obtaining a permit.

My problem is the Philly P.D., already embroiled in scandal, telling people who exercise their rights that they'll be proned out for doing so, for the officer's safety.

Thugs don't O.C., azzhats.

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I agree wholeheartedly. I will say that the audio would not exist had the guy not had an idea as to how the Philly cops might respond. That says a ton for the mindset of Philly and it's leftist ways.

Felony arrest protocol is for felons, not citizens well within their rights by law.

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

This is absolute bull. After the Domelight controversy, you think they'd learn how to talk to people....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-vUYeJXSrA]YouTube - ‪SHOCKING AUDIO: Philadelphia Police violate rights of open carrier at gunpoint‬‏[/ame]

10. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I thought cops were suppose to protect and serve. Aren't they suppose to de-escalate situations not the other way around. I think that cop should find another line of work because frankly he sounds like a coward to me.

11. priell3

priell3 New Member

Digging up old news here, but yesterday Mark's case finally went to trial and he was found "not guilty" of all charges.

Since Mark's incident, I myself have had two encounters with Philly PD while OC'ing my Ruger P95.

In August, the PD responded to a MWAG call, most likely when a motorist spotted me and made a call. Several officers stopped me on the street and asked what I was doing. I simply stopped and stood still and informed them that I had a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF). I provided my ID, they ran a check and I was on my way. All pretty calm and professional. Obviously, they learned a lesson from the earlier incident..

A few weeks later I was in a CVS pharmacy where my wife is a supervisor. As I'm talking with my wife a female officer that happened to be shopping at the time came up and asked me for my ID, as she said "someone was scared". She looked at my LTCF a brief moment, handed it back and said "have a nice day". She then explained to the scared customer that I was okay and that customer apologized to me. The officer and I had a friendly chat outside the store afterwards.

I OC frequently in Philly and the majority of the time nobody takes notice or seems to care. Often though I get into conversations with people that are genuinely interested in the law and carrying a firearm and I am only too happy to teach them and provide them with information and the laws regarding carrying a firearm in Pennsylvania and in particular, Philly.

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

You OC guys in Philly need to get together and have a T-shirt made: "Yes, this gun is legal. Thanks for asking.";)

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's great, I'm glad to hear it.

I have no problems with cops who ask to see my permit here in my state, as it is a state law that it has to be produced on demand, and has to be on your body whenever you are carrying. This was a state law well before I got my permit.

And also the cops around here don't get too alarmed over it to begin with, and neither do the citizens. Now, some of the Memphis people who come down here get totally freaked out, but I think that's just more of a city thing than a Memphis thing.