open carry in KY

Discussion in 'Kentucky Gun Forum' started by maddoccanis, Jan 25, 2013.

1. maddoccanis

maddoccanis New Member

Does anyone have any experience with open carry in KY? I know what the law says, but do you get harrassed?.....doc:confused:

2. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i travel to kentucky alot i live in indiana and i no they honor my Conceald carry liscens and i carry open i aint never been harrassed just looked at alot

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I am not a fan of open carry to say the least, I don't do it, but I have seen a lot of people that do, most of the time no complaints, but it does happen.

4. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

also i have a off the wall question i plan to buy a farm in Kentucky but i can get more land if i buy a place with no house and just well/gas septic already done my question is Does anyone no if their are any laws in Kentucky that one can not live in a travle trailer year round on private property?

5. towboater

towboater Active Member

If your out in the country, ya can live in one.

6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Certain counties have zoning that says it must be no older than a certain date and be on no less than a predetermined amount of land, (usually 5 acres). you need a permit to build a fence around your tomato plants in Oldham co....:rolleyes:

Other counties have light zoning regulations or none at all. Mine has none, you can do just about anything you want. Would check up on the laws specific to that county.

Where are you looking at land if you don't mind me asking?

7. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i plan on a buying around 50-100 acres i like the area around scott county Georgetown area and i also like Bardstown area purdy much anywere i can get the type of farm i want with the cattle/horse fences already up i travel to kentucky monthly my girl freind is in college their and am planin to move when she is done

8. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

just out of cureousity is it legal that im a indiana resident with a handgun liscens can i legally carry in state kentucky ?

9. kamakazi

kamakazi New Member

Do a google search for states the honor Indianas license.

I open carry every day, as I am just 19 and work at a gun shop where being armed is a good idea. I live in a awesome town, and dont think we would ever be robbed, but gun shops are a "targeted" business. I've never had any problems while open carrying, just looks from other folks.

10. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

If you are buying the farm to hunt on but still live in another state, you still need hunting license, .Howerver, a tenant living on that farm may hunt without license.
    Now on open carry, carry if you want, but I think it's odd mlooking carrying large weapons openly just to show you can. Conceiled carry to me makes more sense.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  11. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

im buying the fam to live on im moving their

12. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

Back to the open carry question: you can expect more attention than you want, some places. Law enforcement type, for one, with questions spoken or unspoken about why the hell you are doing it. Nervous civilians afraid of guns for another. Curious children (mostly but not exclusively little boys) wanting to see the weapon. And last but definitely not least, the "Oh, so you're tough, eh?" kind.

That doesn't even take into account retention issues or the well-known "Who's an armed bad guy going to take out first?" argument.

I don't see the point of open carry by a civilian except when hunting or fishing, working on his own land, etc. The only non-LEOs I see doing it except for business (like the gun shop employee above) are people wanting to make an impression and/or a point. That's immature judgment in my book.

I carry concealed whenever I'm outside my apartment. Nobody needs to know that, and I don't receive undesired attention from strangers.

13. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i see alot of folks carry openly i see nothing wrong with it i can for one get to my gun faster if its open on my belt then in my sock. but i really only asked the question to see if my pistol licsens from indiana was honord their and it is and i really only plan to open carry when im horseback riding in national forsest and on my farm

14. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

Good post...I wa sat a resturant a couple day's ago and a gentleman came in wearing a cowboy hat and had some kind of large pistol on his hip. Legal but a little odd looking, to me conceiled carry would have been better, but I'm not against open carry. Like the old saying the army uses, "Smoke'em if you got 'em"

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  15. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Ill open carry every now and then, just to do so.

16. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

May I ask what restaurant? I open carry a lot of the times and I always have my cowboy hat on...maybe we crossed paths and didn't even know it...

And if it was me it was either a 1911 or a Springfield xd...I live in Trimble/Carroll county but I travel all over the state during the week with my second job.

And I'm deffinately a little odd looking. :D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  17. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I carry open fairly often. Because I like the holster choices better. 'm not a bad ass or making a statement. No bad guy is going after armed people. That is the most stupid thing I have ever hears. Show me shootings where this happens. From my research bad people seem to gravitate to where people are not armed.
    I have never had a kid ask me about my pistol. and I've yet to hear the tough guy thing.
    Now I have had officers ask me about it. They have been called about a man with a gun. I really don't have a problem with it. Being I stay pretty close to home all the police around here know me so if a call comes in now and it's my description they usually will drive by to mask sure it's me then wave or ask if I have bought/traded for anything new and cool. Mind you this is in a three county area (Rockcastle, Pulaski, Licoln Co.).

I don't live in a crowded area. I don't like crowds, it's why I live where I do. Thast'sa what the internet is for. Keeping me away form lots of people with handy internet shopping.:) I was in Louisville last year to check out Waverly Hills and did carry there. I didn't have any problems.

The making a statement people are doing just that. Making a statement. They like to make videos and act like jackasses for YouTube. If law enforcement asks me for my info I don'thave a problem witr hit. If it become a harassing tactic that might be different. But this has not bewen my experience in the 20+ years I have lived in Kentucky.

Oh...and Buy a good belt holster and retention is not an issue. When carrying around a tool that can kill people if called upon to do so is the wrong time to be a tightwad.

19. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member