open carry in indiana

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by dragunovsks, May 14, 2008.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I have a gun permit in indiana (the pink one), it doesn't specifically say "concealed", and www.uscarry.com says indiana residents can open carry with a recognized permit. Is this the permit they are referring to?

2. Jay

Jay New Member

yes...... you can open carry in Indiana with a License to Carry a Handgun. The Indiana code does not mention/prohibit it, so it is legal.

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Thanx man, that was a quick reply.

4. Taipan

Taipan New Member

Indiana Open Carry

Their is a "However" here...When the cops respond to the "man with a gun call", you WILL be put on the ground, cuffed, and questioned before you are released to go on your merry way.

5. Jay

Jay New Member

It's a distinct possibility, but not always. Carrying legally for over 40 years, I've seen it go both ways. The choice to open carry is, obviously a choice. How you conduct yourself when/if the police arrive, goes a long way towards how they will act. I've had this discussion with local, county, and state officers over the years. See how the officers in your area feel about it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  6. Taipan

Taipan New Member

Excellent response Jay...GO NAVY!!!

7. Jay

Jay New Member

If you have prior, or current military service, thanks for serving. If you have no military service, then don't presume to banter inter-service rivalries about with those who have....... you don't rate it.

8. rugermike

rugermike New Member

Why to additude?:confused:
    I appreciate all any have done.

9. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Indiana Carry Permits

drag, there are two handgun permits in Indiana; Personal Protection, and Target Permit. The Personal Protection is good for any carry, subject to the local/federal limitations. The Target Permit is good for transportation to and from the target range-unloaded and cased of course. I personally do not open carry on the street. To me it kind of reeks of a Bad-A@@ attitude to the public. I would rather be known as Silent but Deadly, than Open and Hassled. In the woods, and some fishing holes, are the only places that you will see me observing Open Carry.:D;)

10. LegatoRedrivers

LegatoRedrivers New Member

Indiana makes no distinction between open and concealed carry, if you have a carry licence, it's your choice.

Personally, though, I feel like if you're open-carrying around town you might as well be wearing a sandwich board that reads, "Criminals Shoot Me First!"

BTW, don't you love how those things come? Printed on a pink piece of paper; you have to cut it out and laminate it yourself...they could at least spring for card stock with how much it costs you to get one...:rolleyes:

11. Glenn R

Glenn R New Member

I personally equate open carry to yelling 'fire' in a theater. Want it or not you are attracting a lot of attention to yourself. Then when the man shows up you will be on the short end of the stick from the start. Any type of negative attitude will make your situation worse.

Saying 'go navy' to a Marine is an insult. Even worse is when someone who hasn't served is saying it to you. Its kind of like what Harley riders say, "If you have to ask you won't understand".

12. Taipan

Taipan New Member

No worries bro! Although my credentials are impeccable, the underlying message I received was "I don't want to banter with you" That's fine...playful is out.

13. Taipan

Taipan New Member

Open Carry

I agree with all that was said here. I will open carry while fishing (away from public), or in/around my house. If I have to go anywhere, I'll conceal it for courtesy.

14. michiana

michiana New Member

Saying 'go navy' to a Marine is an insult. Even worse is when someone who hasn't served is saying it to you. Its kind of like what Harley riders say, "If you have to ask you won't understand".[/QUOTE]

I forgive you jarhead, no hard feelings. Go Navy sounds great to me. :D

15. ruthless

ruthless New Member

yea that's right. You didn't know the inside lingo of some military branch so in effect you are civilian trash that is worthless.

Got it!?!?!

These are the same guys that demand your support lol