Open carry clothes in Winter months

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by wittmeba, Nov 16, 2013.

1. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I don't see an open carry category but my question is related to carrying a weapon.

Do those of you who open carry find it more difficult during Winter months due to wearing heavier clothing?

If you don't have a short coat, how would you open carry?

Concealed Carry would be the opposite problem during the Summer months but a big baggy T-shirt can fix that problem.

Today (Nov 16, 2013) is Open Carry Day in New Castle, Va. I'm sure I will learn a lot about this subject but thought I'd ask on this forum.

2. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I don't look for ways to carry outside a heavy coat. I do open carry most of the time. I use a paddle holster (Safariland ALS). In winter I wear a coat that covers the gun. I wear the coat unzipped any place that would make me nervous. I know that the coat cover can make me a concealed carrier. But in Oklahoma our permit allows both. When I take the coat off, or reach back for my wallet, the gun is exposed. So, in cold weather I guess I actually carry both ways.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The problem comes in though in some states that allow open carry without a permit, but only allow concealed carry with a permit. What you describe would be illegal for a non-permit holder in some states. So, for the OP it would be best to know your states laws.

4. Balota

True. I suppose you could get a drop leg holster that would expose the gun below the coat. Or maybe a dedicated gun belt you can wear over your coat.

Have to check the actual wording of the law. Does it require the entire outline to be visible?

5. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

My permit allows CC, but OC is legal here also. Normally I OC and sometimes it gets partially covered by a jacket or coat, so I dont worry about it. Here. But even tho the State says OC is legal, alot of other towns arent accepting that and have thier own ordinances not allowing it. So instead of going thru the hassles, I generally CC outside of the town I live in. I realize that that does not work for some. But what does apply, is that a person must dress accordingly. Be it a short coat so as not to conceal, or avoiding short or tucked in shirts while trying to conceal. Every person must find what works for them.

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I carry my 44 magnum in a chest holster when I think I really will be needing it. If I had 2 44's you could call me Dolly! ;)

7. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

And you can call me Al. :D

8. Balota

If you were Dolly's size, you'd have plenty of room to CC those 44 magnums! :D

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

She doesn't!

10. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

This is the concern I would have. If I recall the laws says that 40% of the gun must be exposed. With a coat that hangs below your belt-line even if open would be considered Concealed Carry.

I was just curious what some might suggest.

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

How easy it is for a thread to spiral downward :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

When I was in Arizona the open carry was very specific. The gun must be in a holster with 2" of the holster being visible at all times. I don't know if they use that rule currently.
    Our state has no carry laws. Any state resident may carry concealed or open no permits required.:)