Firearms Talk banner

Open Carry Alberta

7K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  CaptMidnight 
#1 ·
I seen this a few days ago and though this would be good to share. We as Canadians do have the ability to get a concealed hand gun permit (called an ATC here), but it's damn near impossible to get. The reason is that Chief Firearms Officers have the final day as to who will actually be issued one and they've banned together to try issuing as few as possible.

I know this petition says it's to get open carry legalized with in Alberta, but if that does happen I'm positive it'll have a snow ball effect across the country......except for Quebec, but no one likes them anyways. When I first found this, it had 45 E-signatures, this was on the 18th of December. This petition was started on the 13th of February this year, I was a little curious so I shared it on Facebook. With in two days it got another 404 E-signatures and is still on the rise.

Now I know there isn't very many Canadians on this forum, but for the few that are here, I'd love to have you guys sign this as well, even if you don't feel you'd carry a sidearm. The same goes for if you wouldn't want to carry one openly. The main reason I'm sharing this is to try and draw attention to the fact that a large number of us actually want to be able to carry a firearm for the purpose of self defence.

I could say a whole lot more on this subject, but I think I'll leave it where it's at.....other wise I'll never be finished. Haha

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/open-carry-alberta-canada/signatures.html

See less See more
#3 ·
I really hope this is going the right way. I've seen so many people in the news where a Canadian will defend their self and then have to do it again, but this time from the laws we have.

If this gets more attention, I'm sure we could get funds together to have so done favourable running in some elections.

#5 ·
Finally ran into the first group of people against open/concealed carry. It really does seem like they all use the same arguments as south of the boarder.....strange how that works.
They read propaganda put out by anti gunners in the US. The reasons to disarm the public are the same everywhere. The reason they buy into that crap is because they would behave that way if they were armed.

#6 ·
Finally ran into the first group of people against open/concealed carry. It really does seem like they all use the same arguments as south of the boarder.....strange how that works.
a liberal gun hater is the same regardless of which side of the border they are on. the same arguments used here in the USA will work just as well in Canada.

simply use facts and evidence to support your statements and leave emotion out of the discussion. the gun haters want to use emotion to arouse sympathy for their cause.

#7 ·
I don't know how to do a multi-quote now that the App switched over to Tapatalk, otherwise I would have done so.

It isn't anti-gunner that I ran into, it was other firearm owners who are saying that there's no need to carry a firearm for self defence and claiming that someone with one would get tossed from a bar and go on a shooting spree in a drunken rage. Their also claiming it would make it easier for a kid to take his dad's gun and gun down the school bully for picking in him.

On a side note, this is some of the shenanigans we have to face up here. This is a transcript for a court hearing where a guys house was being firebombed by an irate neighbour and the house owner chose to use a firearm to defend himself.

http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/legal_info/THOMSON-IAN-TRANSCRIPT_20130103.pdf

#8 ·
I don't know how to do a multi-quote now that the App switched over to Tapatalk, otherwise I would have done so.

It isn't anti-gunner that I ran into, it was other firearm owners who are saying that there's no need to carry a firearm for self defence and claiming that someone with one would get tossed from a bar and go on a shooting spree in a drunken rage. Their also claiming it would make it easier for a kid to take his dad's gun and gun down the school bully for picking in him.

On a side note, this is some of the shenanigans we have to face up here. This is a transcript for a court hearing where a guys house was being firebombed by an irate neighbour and the house owner chose to use a firearm to defend himself.

http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/legal_info/THOMSON-IAN-TRANSCRIPT_20130103.pdf
there are some gun owners here in the USA that probably believe the same things would happen here if people carried guns.

i remember many years ago when they were still proposing CC here in Texas, and people said if it passed, there would be mass shootings and gunfights, and the streets would run red with blood because people couldn't control their emotions when carrying a gun. hmmmmmm............funny thing is, it hasn't happened yet, nor has it happened in other states that have OC or CC laws.

so that argument against it is feeble at best and not anywhere do i believe they can find anything that would support such a claim.

#9 ·
there are some gun owners here in the USA that probably believe the same things would happen here if people carried guns.

i remember many years ago when they were still proposing CC here in Texas, and people said if it passed, there would be mass shootings and gunfights, and the streets would run red with blood because people couldn't control their emotions when carrying a gun. hmmmmmm............funny thing is, it hasn't happened yet, nor has it happened in other states that have OC or CC laws.

so that argument against it is feeble at best and not anywhere do i believe they can find anything that would support such a claim.

That's the same arguments were using up here in our "fight" for the right to carry a sidearm. Every time it comes up an person in favour of carrying always says something along the lines of "the states has people carrying through all sorts of stores, gas stations and even to ATMs. There has yet to be a gun fight between legally armed individuals."

#10 ·
That's the same arguments were using up here in our "fight" for the right to carry a sidearm. Every time it comes up an person in favour of carrying always says something along the lines of "the states has people carrying through all sorts of stores, gas stations and even to ATMs. There has yet to be a gun fight between legally armed individuals."
there are always going to be idiots who believe what they want to believe, in spite of what common sense should be telling them. many states here in the US have had CC and OC for many years now. so far, it has been very far from being the OK Corral Shootout!

#11 ·
there are always going to be idiots who believe what they want to believe, in spite of what common sense should be telling them. many states here in the US have had CC and OC for many years now. so far, it has been very far from being the OK Corral Shootout!

That's why lots of Canadians are wanting the opportunity to prove we can be responsible with a sidearm on our hips. We also find it a little silly that police up here can carry a sidearm with out an RPAL (licence required to own a handgun), but yet people who have gone through the day or two long course aren't allowed to carry a sidearm......even though a civilian is most likely getting more range time in then the average police officer is.

#12 ·
That's why lots of Canadians are wanting the opportunity to prove we can be responsible with a sidearm on our hips. We also find it a little silly that police up here can carry a sidearm with out an RPAL (licence required to own a handgun), but yet people who have gone through the day or two long course aren't allowed to carry a sidearm......even though a civilian is most likely getting more range time in then the average police officer is.
keep the petitions going and remember to use facts and proof in your debates. numbers are your strongest ally in this fight. email or write the people who havethe power to make the changes. keep the pressure upon them. get gun right groups involved.

#13 ·
keep the petitions going and remember to use facts and proof in your debates. numbers are your strongest ally in this fight. email or write the people who havethe power to make the changes. keep the pressure upon them. get gun right groups involved.

Oh trust me, I'm trying man. It took this petition almost a year to get 45 signatures, since sharing it on the 18th we're already up to 497, that's over ten times the signatures in not even a quarter of the time. Right now I'm trying to get it out through Twitter as well since it's on a few different Facebook pages as, others have also shared it through their Facebook too.

I'd ask you guys south of the border to sign it as well, but something tells me that any signatures from those not living with in Canada wouldn't count and would probably cause more harm then good.

#14 ·
Oh trust me, I'm trying man. It took this petition almost a year to get 45 signatures, since sharing it on the 18th we're already up to 497, that's over ten times the signatures in not even a quarter of the time. Right now I'm trying to get it out through Twitter as well since it's on a few different Facebook pages as, others have also shared it through their Facebook too.

I'd ask you guys south of the border to sign it as well, but something tells me that any signatures from those not living with in Canada wouldn't count and would probably cause more harm then good.
i doubt that any signatures from south of you would have any merit. i would sign it myself if i thought it would help your cause though. i wish all the best of luck. i believe LAC's should be afforded the opportunity to be able to protect themselves at all times.

#15 ·
i doubt that any signatures from south of you would have any merit. i would sign it myself if i thought it would help your cause though. i wish all the best of luck. i believe LAC's should be afforded the opportunity to be able to protect themselves at all times.

That's why I haven't asked. Just seen our version of the NRA post about what laws we'd like to see changed, gave my opinion and put a link to the petition there......with in a minute or so, we gained another four signatures.

#16 ·
Frankly, I'd support both CC or OC, and simultaneously support harsher penalties for those who use guns to commit a crime, and I mean a real crime like robbery or assault or murder, not self-defense or some paper crime.

I'm a firm believer in holding people accountable and punishing them for what they actually DO, not what they COULD DO. If someone wants to carry a gun, let them, but if they commit a crime make the punishment harsh so that people think before they do something. If they're too dumb to think about what they're doing, then they should be taken off the streets.

#18 ·
I find that every Person should be educated about Firearms and Safety. Most People are afraid because they are not introduced to it and not knowing anything about it gives a negative impression. I hope it will all change and support the open carry.

I agree with you 100%. I would there should be some type of training required along with a background check

#19 ·
Open carry in a populated city has absolutely nothing to do with self defense. It has everything to do with satisfying an immature craving for attention. That is not the purpose of a defensive weapon. And most open carry proponents also enjoy the passive-aggressive nature of such carry; they like the way it pisses off people.

#20 ·
Open carry in a populated city has absolutely nothing to do with self defense. It has everything to do with satisfying an immature craving for attention. That is not the purpose of a defensive weapon. And most open carry proponents also enjoy the passive-aggressive nature of such carry; they like the way it pisses off people.

If they have the choice to carry open or concealed then I agree. But some people do not have their licence to do that. And if they do legalize it in Canada they will probably start off with OC first and then if it works and gets a positive response they will legalize CC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.