Oops!...I Did It Again

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by rjgnwdc, May 3, 2012.

1. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

I get the Gun Broker auctions emailed to me and I was looking at it the other day and came across a decent deal on a Colt Combat Commander... I just couldn't resist so my FFL called me this evening told me it had arrived and to come get it, I'll go at lunch break pick it up run by the house clean'er up and head for the range. Here's a stock photo of it, I'll post more tomorrow:D
    [​IMG]

2. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Congratulations, nice find!! I have one & love it!

3. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Can you see the green in my eyes......yes it is Envy, nice gun rjg.:cool:

4. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

What a nice gun. Congrats. When you get it lets see some pics and a range report.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great snag rjg!

Is it the steel or the Lightweight Commander?

Go get 'er dirty and enjoy. ;)

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

That gun is hideous!!
    You must send it to me so i can properly dispose of it :)

Congrats brother, cant beat a colt

7. rjgnwdc

Stainless steel just don't care for the LW, I looked at the Wiley Clapp but it has the LW receiver... but I sure do like the look just need the weight.

8. rjgnwdc

Will do, as soon as I take possession. I'm still waiting for the background check to clear, it has already taken longer for the BC then the purchase (on-line) AND THE SHIPPING TO MY FFL. I just don't understand why here in VA the instant BC has never been instant for me, I've bought 11 firearms in the 10 years I've lived here in VA and not 1 purchase has cleared instantly or even within 4hrs usaully it's over night but has been as long as 4 days. I thought once I got my CHP it might speed things up a bit but it hasn't.
    Some have suggested that because I have bought most of my firearms from Budsgunshop.com, GunsAmerica.com and most recently Gun Broker.com that's why it takes so long, but I have waited overnight for 3 different guns
    I bought at 2 different gun stores:confused: Okay I'll hop down off my soapbox and get back to work:mad:

9. rjgnwdc

Finally picked'er up on the way home here are some pics I hope to get to the range tomorrow if I can get my chores done.
    [​IMG]

lined up with the government model
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Dang, she's a beauty!

11. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Congrats! She's puuuurrrrty:)

12. rjgnwdc

Thanks everyone, I got to get out to the range this morning before the rain and you can't tell by my target but I shot pretty good for the first time out with it here are the first 3 magazines the Commander performed flawlessly I think I like this Commander size. I was shooting from 10 yards (30ft) I would normally shoot from 3yds to 7yds but there was a female police officer already set up at 10yrds

[​IMG]

13. rjgnwdc

Okay now that I've taken'er to the range run a hundred rounds or more through'er... time for a few little modifications pics coming soon:D
    [​IMG]

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hey rjg, did you forget to remove the ejector? [​IMG]

Sooooo.....I wonder what the mods will be?? (Even Colt's can be upgraded.)

http://www.egwguns.com/firing-pin-stops/oversized-series-80-firing-pin-stop/

http://www.egwguns.com/pin-sets/high-quality-pin-set-11-pc-ss/

http://www.egwguns.com/mag-catches-mag-catch-locks/egw-hd-higher-mag-catch/

http://www.egwguns.com/ignition-parts/hd-hard-sear-1911/

http://www.egwguns.com/ignition-parts/hd-ball-head-disconnector/

15. kycol

kycol New Member

Really nice congrats and enjoy.

16. rjgnwdc

I went with all these suggestions except the mag catch, went a different way with the mag catch and added a few more items while I was there. Should have it Friday.:D

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have yet to find a better supplier of high-end (quality, not $) 1911 parts than George Smith and his guys at EGW.

George spends his money on R&D, NOT advertising! He lets his parts (and us) tell the story.

If you got the OS FPS there's a trick to the prep work and finish to get the best outcome. I never thought a firing pin stop could improve accuracy but it can. (If done correctly and with a few other small tweaks.) [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  18. rjgnwdc

I gotta say their customer service is top notch, I had noticed on my order I had selected the wrong finish on a drop in Barrel bushing so I called about 2hours ago to see if I could change it and while I was on hold she went to the back where they were actually packing my order placed last night and made the correction and just a few minutes ago I got an email shipping notice.

I had read where it was a pretty easy fit so I'm counting on that... if not I might need to get you to share that "trick" in the prep work with me.

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The trick is the radius needed on the square cut bottom of the FPS. PM me for the info.

You're probably going to need to lap that barrel bushing to get the proper fit. Got a lap kit?

Look above ^ in the 1911 sticky area for the hot poop on lapping. I doubt you'll need to lap the slide but you can bank on doing the bushing.

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

WELL???

Did it get there yet? :eek::rolleyes: