Only one of my kind that I know...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CHLChris, Jun 27, 2010.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

A question for some of you. In my group of friends I am not the only gun owner. But I am the only licensed CCW carrier. And I'll be the first black rifle (SUR) owner. I'm not worried that there will be any condemnation or anything. I think the friends of mine that I tell about my build will be pretty inspired, actually, once they see my finished AR. If SHTF they'll be coming over here, that's for sure!

Anybody else out there the first of their circle owning a black rifle, first carrier, that sort of thing?

Just wondering. As far as firearms go, this group here is the closest to being brothers in arms for me.

I'm assuming that, if society collapsed I may just be surprised how many like me are living right around me.

2. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I do not have a tight circle of friends. I have one best friend that is prectically my brother. We rarely go a day without saying anything to each other. Even on vacations we keep close tabs on one another.
    We both have a lot of friends that we are both friends with, but they ain't like us.

Anyways, I am the first gun owner between the two of us. I have 3 guns (a .22 rifle, Mosin Nagant and an 1858 revolver) and he has none. He really likes my revolver though so I am going to suggest that he gets a Ruger Vaquero or a Ruger GP100. I am not sure wether he prefers single or double action.

What are you alls opinion on my future suggestions?

3. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

I am the first black rifle owner amongst my friends. Here in CA, not a lot of people get into guns, largely because CA makes it a pain in the old chair warmer. Guns cost more, they're harder to get, and you can hardly take them out of the safe without breaking some dumb*** law.

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

CHL Chris

I was in your boat 10 years ago when I began organizing trips up the mountain with a group of guys from work. I was/still am the only vet and was the only CCW holder. Most of them had 1 or 2 guns but no formal training and all were illiterate to the Pro Gun Culture.

All were eager to chip in for ammo and shoot my collection of pistols and sporting rifles. Half of them now have CCW's, all of them now own numerous guns, all of them now VOTE pro gun, and we all maintain a SHTF stock of ammo.

It's easy to bring folks around to your way of thinking as long as you have something they value. In my case it was a great collection of toys and the opportunity to learn them from a guy with military training.

I don't claim to be an expert and tend to steer clear of those who do...

I never climbed up on the 2A soap box and tried preaching to any of them and I've never seen it work. I just do what I do, enjoy my sport, and let their curiosity lead them in the right direction. Eventually they all ask the CCW question and when they do, I answer with 1 word. "Responsibility"

By the time anyone "asks" the CCW question, they've spent enough time shooting with me to automatically respect my position on the topic.

TACK

P.S. The fact that you CCW should be a closely guarded secret, know only to those you trust explicitly and more importantly, those who trust you.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No- I have mostly sane people around me, and they all have guns. :D

Many of us gun buffs do not walk around wearing a Glock shirt. As you get further into shooting sports, you may be surprised who you meet at the range. No limits of age, race, sex, origin, and to some extent, religion (will admit, Buddhists are scarce- but represented) Have worked with a few disabled shooters, a BUNCH of medical staff, youngsters, ladies, etc.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you see a bunch of old men riding old bikes, don't mess with them. Like C3, no telltale shirts, but each is packing at least one.
    The other crowd is bleeding demokrats, who know my position and respect it (as I, their's).

7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

If society collapsed, most people I know would be reaching for their pointed sticks :rolleyes:

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I don't have a big circle of people I am around. I have one brother from another mother and a few others I will hang out with some. WE all are collectors, shooters, hunters, and most of them carry. My family (blood relations) mostly think I'm nuts. They live in some weird fantasy world. My in laws think a lot more like I do

9. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Chris:

After you take them shooting with your new AR, you will become very busy helping them buy or build their own. AR's are like candy and once they get a taste, they will want one too!

10. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

I dont have any friends... sniff sniff boo hoo

The majority of people I know own firearms, although in NJ, no one carries, we are all just victims waiting to happen.

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Some of my closest friends own guns, and some don't. The ones I've met through my knife collecting hobby and MMA training are gun lovers. Serious gun lovers. One has a gun shop, another one is Bersa's factory manager (and a great IPSC shooter), etc.

However, the guys I'm closest to and I've known for over 15 or 20 years (a long time when you're 27!) don't own guns. They aren't anti-gun, but they just don't care about them. Legislation and gun prices don't help, either.

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I live in a very nice neighborhood full of committed liberals and yuppies. Only a couple of people even know that I have firearms. These folks would be the first to point a finger should some unpleasantness arise. So, I keep a low profile. I am not the lone wolf type, but I can hold my own and these circumstances force me to keep my head down.

This is another reason of many why I want to get out of here.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

All of my friends are gun people.
    Most of my daily acquaintances are gun people.

I consider people who do not own guns a dangerous liability. They plan on relying on others to take care of them when "the time comes". They all say they plan on coming to my house. Mmmm, not so much.

But I will disagree about the generalization that most people in CA are not interested in guns. When word got out a few years ago in my office that I was a shooter, half the office (50+/-) came to me asking me to take them shooting. Those range trips have created a whole new generation of informed gun owners. I recently emailed my company about a range day and ended up with 32 new shooters from my office.

The big deterrent that kept each of them from starting shooting on their own was the fact that when they went into gun stores looking for help getting into shooting they were all treated like garbage by the a-holes behind the counters.

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Of my friends I probably have the largest gun collection and that isn't saying much. I'm the only gun nut among those I concider friends although most of them own one or two and they don't mind being around them. I wish I had more gun nut friends, maybe I'd get to shoot more.

15. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

Everyone I know owns a gun or two.

I know if you come out to my neck of the woods it wouldn't be just me 3rd degreeing you with a hidden hand.:D My neighbors are just like me you come around our neighborhood and we don't know you you better have a good reason to be there! lol

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I spoke about it a bunch while I was considering it. But once I actually completed the process and was carrying, I stopped talking about it. Discrete means, well, discrete. That is great advice for all of us who are sheepdogs. Talking about it could be considered intimidating unless people know you VERY well. I just don't bring it up with people, generally.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Also consider the damage someone could do if they A: knew you were packing and B: had a grudge.

The person makes a false 911 call about someone fitting your description driving away and brandishing a gun!

There goes your CCW and possibly some freedom.

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Definitely a reason to win friends and influence people. BTW, that would be called filing a false police report. Hopefully we do not have people around us who would break the law just to get back at us. I'm sure it could happen and has happened. But I hope I live my life in a way that nobody would even consider doing that to me.

19. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Friends ????

I have a lot of friends, But none are worth wasting a bullet on. Yet!:eek::)

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

We all do, it's just a risk that's better considered before it happens rather than after. Yes, it would be considered "filing a false report" but we all know that "as the guy with the gun" your going to be guilty until proven innocent. I'm not tyring to preach hear, just sharing 15 years of CCW experience with the younger generation. I see many new CCW's, IE 20 somethings who are very proud of thier CCW and voice it loudly without condering the risks. Knowledge of your personal armed status in the wrong hands can be very dangerous for you...

TACK