Only One 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Millerlite, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

First off I have a colt mark 4 1911 my grandfather passed down to me, but I'm in the market for a really nice 1911 that I could carry time to time (not primary carry gun).

I looked at the nighthawks but they are alittle too pricy.
    I'm looking to stay under 2k if I can, but want a really nice 1911. If you had it to do what would you buy?

Thanks

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

The Colt 21st Century Wiley Clapp Commander

• Suggested Retail $1379
    • Series '70 style action with no firing pin safety and improved trigger pull
    • Alloy receiver for a light pistol that carries easy
    • Original style small safety, slide lock and magazine catch, no extensions
    • Front & rear slide serrations
    • Long black trigger, flat S&A mainspring housing
    • Colt's new beavertail grip safety for comfort in long shooting sessions
    • Special Novak sights – extra-wide notch and bead front for any-light shooting
    • Tactical Oval grips with forward taper and fingerprint checkering
    • Pete Single 25 lpi checkering on the pistol's front-strap
    • Special factory serial number run

Part# 04840WC

3. Wambli

Wambli New Member

If you can go to $2k I would look at used Wilson Combats, Nighthawks and other premium brands. With the bad economy there are quite a few hardly used ones (or even safe queens) out there for relatively cheap. If you are dead set on new I would look at Les Baer and Ed Brown. I believe they both have models just under $2k. In the $1k-2K range there are are a lot of great models form Kimber and Springfield Armory too. All of these are great 1911's. Actually I can't think of a 1911 in that price range I would consider a bad choice. More of what features etc you want on it.

4. Armedoc

Armedoc New Member

Les Baer TRS or Comp carry
    Used Wilson CQB
    Colt Combat Elite

I have a colt commander but I am less than pleased with the way I shoot it.
    My full-sized 1911's are accurate.

5. boomenshutzen

boomenshutzen New Member

Don't forget Dan Wesson. VERY nice 1911s in that lineup for a lot less than you would think. The Valor is one spectacular full size gun. Look at the Guardian or the CCO for a great carry piece.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Don't get me wrong, I love Dan Wesson. But if you have a limit of $2K, a Les Baer is a no-brainer to me.

7. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

So my buddy wants to sell his kimber pro carry II to me for $800. Sounds like a good deal?

8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Get a new one for that, man...

9. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

Would probably still get the Wilson, les Baer, etc even if I got the kimber.

Thanks for replies still doing research on the models y'all are bringing up. But if I get the pro carry then method of use changes. I would carry the kimber so weight, length, etc isn't an issue

10. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

Should probably mention - holster mags upgraded sights inclded. Says he has 1200-1300 in it

Attached Files:

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Holster, mags, and sights are no longer new.
    I do not have a Kimber in my inventory and don't see one to be there (my opinion only).

Look at used, also. My wife found an Ed Brown Kobra carry in the newspaper with holster, mag carrier, shoulder holster rig, original gun rug, and ammo all for $1800.

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

They look like factory sights to me, but it's too far away to tell for sure. Put $5000 worth of aftermarket tires and wheels on your vehicle and try to sell it for $5000 more than it's worth and see how that works out...

13. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

ok, so let me ask this differently. What would you pay for this Kimber pro carry II (about 4 months old)? He is a friend of 30yrs and trust him. The reason he's selling it is cuz he likes hes FN45 more.

So what is a good offer?

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Mine came factory like this for around $1200:

image-2447860473.jpg

That was including the CTC laser grips, which at the time were around $300, and night sights which were $150.
    That puts the gun around $800. Look on gunbroker...all day in your configuration for $800 range.

Your choice tho, brother.

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I mean, he's not "screwin' ya'", just saying you can get a new one for close. If you want it, yeah....he's in the ballpark. Just comes down to what you wanna do. Don't piss off a friend over a $100 bill tho....

16. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

I was the one thinking $800 cuz I didn't want to screw him. He would probably sell it to me for $600 if I asked. Hell he was going to give it to his brother (also a friend). He owns alot of guns, probably 30k worth but I don't want to steal it from him cuz he is a friend. Anyways, thanks for all the input

17. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Well, DAMN! You didn't say that!

Hell, I WILL buy it from him for $600.. :D

18. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Ed Brown Kobra is my recommedation in this price range.
    [​IMG]

19. esc2820

esc2820 New Member

I like the Dan Wesson over the Baer. Just personal preference. I do own a Valor Bob in the duty finish, I have shot a Baer, just like the feel of the Valor better.

20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Dan Wesson CCO. It's my primary carry gun. The Valor is worth a look too. They're built well enough that unless you need specific features, stepping up to Baer or Brown probably isn't necessary.