Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 147 Posts
I did watch a you tube guy who felt that ammo prices have plateaued. His logic revolved around the number of bids on ammo on gun broker....while the prices are still as elevated as ever, there are less bids on ammo and his logic was this was signaling a flattening of the price curve. When prices fall and availability improves, like the last time, it will be very slow...much slower than the increase side of the curve.

I did watch a you tube guy who felt that ammo prices have plateaued. His logic revolved around the number of bids on ammo on gun broker....while the prices are still as elevated as ever, there are less bids on ammo and his logic was this was signaling a flattening of the price curve. When prices fall and availability improves, like the last time, it will be very slow...much slower than the increase side of the curve.
I've noticed a slight lull. I think it's a sort of buying fatigue, combined with "plain ran out of money," and a dose of sticker shock...

That of course will change when the first ammo ban laws are signed...

Gunowners have had ample opportunity to stock up on ammunition at reasonable prices.
Not one of the newbies has, though.

I recall how it got bad in 2008/2009, and again in 2012-2014, knowing how the leftists (primarily) felt about the armed citizenry. This time, I believe it's going to remain even worse, given the likely millions of new arms owners.

My stash of mid-'90s ammo had finally dried up around the time of the 2012 election season. Had plenty of others, just not from the '90s that I'd got "on the cheap" from a local reloader (shop).

It really doesn't matter if the shortage was induced by panic buying or not it's still a real shortage.

I've said this before but I remember being in the middle of the Obama Ammo Panic and people were damning all the hoarders.

Then things eased up and several people started saying that it would be in our best interest to start stocking up and the same people were still damning all the hoarders and still refusing to stock up.

I'm sorry but if you refused to listen to all those warnings and got caught short again I have a hard time finding any sympathy in my heart for you.

When you stand at a gun counter and watch as 9mm rounds are counted out, one at a time into a plastic baggie it's sobering.
How much were they selling for?

This thread makes me think back to last summer when I posted here asking everyone’s opinion on ammosquared.com and got nothing but negativity. I still signed up for it and I’m glad I did! 5.56 is .66/rd, 7.62x39 is .30/rd and they’re not taking new subscriptions right now because too many were treating it like lucky gunner and not the subscription service it’s supposed to be. If there wasn’t stuff back ordered I would’ve got my first box last month.

They wouldn't be gouging if people weren't paying it. Anyone who encourages this behavior by paying those prices deserves those prices and MORE.
I generally agree. That said, ammo is a necessity for defense of life, not a "nice to have." When N95 masks were all the rage, government cracked down on sellers taking a profit on these "essential" items. It'd be similar to selling water at extreme prices to people displaced from a natural disaster.

Toilet paper - I'm sure some people way overpaid because they had to. I wouldn't fault the average person for not maintaing a 3 month inventory, and I wouldn't expect people to go without it either.

The problem isn't people buying for their immediate need - it's buying based on the irrational - and good luck convincing someone their firmly held belief (I have to buy it now before it gets banned), is disproportionate or possibly irrational. Heck, they may even be right.

Thinking this through... the best thing I can do is set a monthly ammo budget, and spend it all every month. When prices are low, my $50 goes far, when prices are high, my $50 doesn't buy much...

How much were they selling for?

This thread makes me think back to last summer when I posted here asking everyone’s opinion on ammosquared.com and got nothing but negativity. I still signed up for it and I’m glad I did! 5.56 is .66/rd, 7.62x39 is .30/rd and they’re not taking new subscriptions right now because too many were treating it like lucky gunner and not the subscription service it’s supposed to be. If there wasn’t stuff back ordered I would’ve got my first box last month.
One big problem I see is you paid for the ammo at high prices ($0.66), expected them to put it in a shelf for you, then ship it when you asked - which would be kind of cool. Unfortunately, your hard earned cash just puts you in a "digital que" and you'll get your physical goods in many months - and you don't have that cash on hand to buy ammo today from other sources.

In the last ammo crunch, I ordered from a couple places...for some reason I remember Brownells...ammo started showing up ever so slightly in big box stores etc and still no ammo from my back orders...after many months of waiting, I cancelled my order as I could pick up a box here and there. Odd thing was, I still had some ammo but was so reluctant to shoot because there was no telling when I'd be able to get more...stocked up, started reloading and I'm about the only one shooting in my rural neighborhood these days at a time when I'd normally hear gunshots around weekly, if not daily. Seems like retailers are raising prices much faster this time around imho.

I generally agree. That said, ammo is a necessity for defense of life, not a "nice to have." When N95 masks were all the rage, government cracked down on sellers taking a profit on these "essential" items. It'd be similar to selling water at extreme prices to people displaced from a natural disaster.

Toilet paper - I'm sure some people way overpaid because they had to. I wouldn't fault the average person for not maintaing a 3 month inventory, and I wouldn't expect people to go without it either.

The problem isn't people buying for their immediate need - it's buying based on the irrational - and good luck convincing someone their firmly held belief (I have to buy it now before it gets banned), is disproportionate or possibly irrational. Heck, they may even be right.

Thinking this through... the best thing I can do is set a monthly ammo budget, and spend it all every month. When prices are low, my $50 goes far, when prices are high, my $50 doesn't buy much...
Unless you're in a war zone, ammo is in no way a necessity; sorry. As far as a monthly budget; my answer to that is I buy when prices are low; and DON'T buy when prices are high. This is a planning issue not an availability issue in my mind. Doing it that way I'm now in a posistion to sell at current prices and my stash in effect becomes free. Basic planning; we ALL knew this was going to happen again.

I don't see the ammo supply getting much better for a long, long time. This panic buying will continue, and even when it gets better I'll bet that ammo prices will be 20% - 25% higher than pre-panic prices because the prices of raw material's is projected to go up a lot.
Copper is already headed up -

Lead is also headed up -

Bullet prices have been going up steadily the last few years. I've quit buying Berger bullet's. They have been my favorite long range bullet for years. Bullet's that I was buying for $35 per 100 a couple years ago, are now $65-$70 per 100.
Sierra and Hornady bullet's have also increased a lot in the last few years.

With the way the prices are going, the future of Shooting is going to take a hard hit. People that shoot competition will have to decide if it's worth the extra cost that reloading components are going to cost them. I think a lot of them will quit competing unless they can get sponsor's to help them out.

One big problem I see is you paid for the ammo at high prices ($0.66), expected them to put it in a shelf for you, then ship it when you asked - which would be kind of cool. Unfortunately, your hard earned cash just puts you in a "digital que" and you'll get your physical goods in many months - and you don't have that cash on hand to buy ammo today from other sources.

View attachment 239363

Those 425 rounds is physical ammo set aside with my name on it that I could have shipped today. 250$ ships free so I’m waiting for some of the back ordered stuff before I request it.

They do exactly as you say what would be kind of cool but if they’re not getting ammo in they can’t add it to my inventory. I can sell back the ammo I have sitting aside there if I wanted to.

Unless you're in a war zone, ammo is in no way a necessity; sorry.
Though, for every newbie shooter, that's exactly what they're facing.

Not to be contrary but, for them, until they get that initial stash and their initial competency, they are essentially "in a war zone" and in dire need of that defensive ammo sufficient to get through it alive.

I really feel for the newbies who've decided to pick up arms, this past 18mos. Bad timing, for them.

I agree that ammo is going to be a lot more expensive when the panic buying is over. I’m worried the current administration could make it even more expensive by using the EPA.

Following this logic thru, I need a nice place to live that is peaceful and stress free and relaxing. I want some prime beachfront property. But woe is me, I wasn't old enough or didn't plan or other excuses why I couldn't buy it when it was cheap. Now it's expensive and I cannot afford it. But it's a "necessity." So I should have some.

Also, money is a necessity to live and what better thing to have than some Apple common stocks, and I'd like to have them when they were $1 per share back in the 1980s. So I insist everyone who planned well turn theirs over to me, at $1 per share.

It's the only "fair" thing to do.

Following this logic thru, I need a nice place to live that is peaceful and stress free and relaxing. I want some prime beachfront property. But woe is me, I wasn't old enough or didn't plan or other excuses why I couldn't buy it when it was cheap. Now it's expensive and I cannot afford it. But it's a "necessity." So I should have some.

Also, money is a necessity to live and what better thing to have than some Apple common stocks, and I'd like to have them when they were $1 per share back in the 1980s. So I insist everyone who planned well turn theirs over to me, at $1 per share.

It's the only "fair" thing to do.
That is absolutely not fair. I should get half of it at 50 cents per share.....

41 - 60 of 147 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.