One week left!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dragunovsks, Jun 6, 2009.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Got one more week left in my CDL class! I have to take a 3 part test next week and if I pass it I'll have my Class A CDL. We have to do a pre-trip inspection on a Frieghtliner truck from bumper to bumper, drive the truck with a tester riding shotgun and then take a written test.

I had a classmate run through the pre-trip inspection with me and I named almost every part we have to name and stated that they weren't damaged or leaking (I only missed 3). I thought I did pretty good considering there are nearly 100 parts we have to inspect.

I didn't realize how complicated it can be to drive an 18-wheeler. Yesterday my instructor had me go through a very busy urban area in a Frieghtliner Century Class with sleeper cab pulling a 53 footer. He says I'm getting better everytime they take me out. I drive a 5-speed pickup but getting used to double clutching was my first hurdle. Not to mention getting used to something with 10 forward gears.

2. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

Welcome the big road!
    I've been driving big truck since '87 (my Army days) and am still at it.
    Do you plan to go OTR or local?,never did the OTR as Mrs. FBR wants me home.
    Don't worry about the test,If your instructor is is't worried about taking you into heavy traffic then you should have no problem.
    I've been driving for a building supply co. for the last 10 years delivering trusses and we do some oversize/overlength permited stuff.
    here's a pic. of a load typical of one I do on a regular basis,but I've hauled trusses as long as 74 ft long and 14ft wide.

Attached Files:

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Good to hear Dragon.

Let us know how you do.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Excellent. Best wishes. :cool:

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Good luck dude and nice to hear from you.

6. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I'm confused, I thought you already had it.

Anyways, mad respect. I doubt I could handle it. Good luck!

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I plan on going regional or getting on a dedicated account if I can. My wife doesn't want me to go OTR for the obvious reasons. I'm checking out a couple of companies including USA Truck, Roehl, and Swift. TMC turned me down saying they went with a different applicant.

Driving in heavy traffic is not too bad until you get some moron pull out in front of you. The other day I was driving down 10th street in Jeffersonville IN in the heavy rain with cars all around me. The traffic lane I was in was only about a foot wider than the truck and there was a curb on one side that I had to be careful not to run up on. On Friday I only made one mistake, I shifted from 4th gear to 5th before my trailer tandems crossed a set of railroad tracks.

The only thing I'm worried about is the pre-trip part of the test. I've got the parking manuevers down pretty good. I can parallel park a Ford L9000 with a48 footer like a pro.

8. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

You'll become well aquainted with morons.....its amazing what people will do to keep from getting stuck behind a truck
    as for the pre-trip,it becomes second nature after you do it a hundred times or so
    best advice I can give for the test is MIRRORS,MIRRORS,MIRRORS
    check them every 4 to 6 seconds,let your tester see that you are checking them,they really stress this at our saftey meetings and a buddy who is going through CDL classes says they stress it as well.
    good luck!

9. WDB

WDB New Member

Times moves fast! soon you will be on the road with 18 wheels under you. Congrats