One revolver for the frontier

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Scratchammo, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Which would you carry? It'd be for big game, snakes, & maybe two legged vermin. I think mine would be a Ruger Redhawk. What about y'all?

2. headhunter

headhunter Member

I can't help but smile when I feel how smooth my Redhawk trigger is and I like its accuracy, so I appreciate your choice.
    My choice would be a 629 Smith with a 5" barrel. It has many attributes: really good trigger, accuracy, balance, ease of carrying. Mostly it has come to feel really comfortable and I know it will hit what I'm aiming at: two hands , strong hand, weak hand. Deer, grouse, and rabbits it has harvested. The 2 legged critters I hope we can skip!

3. freefall

freefall New Member

I have never felt helpless with my Ruger .44 Bisley.

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Frontier!! Local area or are you going out west and hunt? real question. If wanted for your local and southern zones in general no griz, moose or elk a gp100357mag loaded heavy for hunting would be enough for deer or black bear hunting and if carry'n for the trail and general woods stump'n weight can become an issue if carried on the hip with a 44 mag.

Now if hunting mainly then the RH or SRH are by far a better choice. Look to carry in a chest or shoulder strap supported cross draw. Way easier on the body.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  5. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

I personally carry a Ruger Blackhawk .41mag with a 4 5/8 inch barrel for most of my activities in the woods and about. I strong side carry most times except when extreme cold weather hits, then it is carried on the chest supported crossdraw style and or sometimes I use a shoulder holster rig carrying the gun just inside the outer garment. Since I reload, I can customize my loads to whatever I plan for the gun that day, whether it be small game hunting, or two legged protection.

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Can I have a rifle too ;)?

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I love my .41 Mags, but for most folks it is not as versitile as the .44. No commercial shotshells or shot capsules available. I have figued out a nice shot shell, but if you do not handload...

S&W M-29 6" (because I have one). Variety of ammo 180-240 gr jacketed, 200-300 gr cast, shotshells. Versitile for 2-4 legged vermin, predators (large and small), snakes, close range birds, etc.

Protection and food.

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Sure, why not? :D

9. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

There are a lot of good opinions here & the epic battle between Ruger & S&W rages on!

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Medusa 47 ( big surprise...:p)

About the "homemade" snakeshot..... I bought some .38 Long Colt the other day (for the 'dusa) and I thought it was loaded with wadcutters, but turned out to be homemade snakeshot using gas checks to hold the shot...

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Ruger Redhawk or Blackhawk in .44 mag
    I also wouldn't mind a Ruger Vaquero .357 mag. :D

12. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Taurus Model 66 357 mag 6" barrel, never failed me before I wouldn't have any trouble carrying it.

13. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

Me too for the 41mag. Would mind sharing that shot shell specs as I reload for the .41mag. My S&W Model 57 has served me well hear in southeast Indiana. Best regards

14. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Despite the lack of abundance, during the great ammo drought it was among the "oddball" calibers still left on the shelves so in real shtf when all the popular calibers are once again hoarded one should be able to find these rounds relatively easy.