One of my "Oldies"

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by M14sRock, Aug 1, 2010.

1. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I picked this up a few years ago, and pulled it out today while looking for something else. It is an old Webley&Scott .32. Condition is near mint, except that the left side grip is cracked and each one is chipped. Tough to find originals, but I have a set of repros in the parts bin.

It is a great, fun shooter, but has only been taken out a couple of times. The fit and finish are superb.

The guy I got it from had bought it hoping it was a "Metropolitan Police" version which are very rare. So when it ended up being the "Non-Metro" version he gave it to me for a song.

[​IMG]

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sweet. That's the first one I've ever seen.

Have you ever owned an Ortgies? I think I'd like one someday.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Thanks Don.

I have not owned an Ortgies, but am sure one will show up some day. Kind of a cross between a Browning 1922 and a Rem 51, as far as looks. Almost got a nice Rem 51 recently, but decided to wait.

I got into a "pocket pistol" groove a few years ago and bought a bunch of historically significant pistols. Sauers, Walthers, Mausers, Colts, Brownings, Webley & Scott, Berettas, etc. Lots of fun to shoot, but serious limitations in the accuracy dept, usually. The one I shoot the most is an old Sauer 1913. Not sure why, but I really like it.

Sold many of them, but kept a few. This is one I kept.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good to know. I'd still love to have a Colt 1907 in .380. But they've gotten pricey and scarce.

5. Cpt-Hotpants

Cpt-Hotpants New Member

Fantastic lookin little gun. Ive heard good things about them.

Very cool.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Interesting little piece. Thanks for putting up the pic.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I like showing up at the range to have people ask what you are shooting and how old it is.

8. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Very cool!!!

So how come you never bring stuff like that out when we go shooting???:D

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Don't I always ask you, "Hey Jo, is there anything I have that you want me to bring...?" Ha.

These little pocket pistols are fun to shoot at about 7 yards, but after that most of them are just making noise. But the Webley is a good shooter.

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Touche

Hey someday we should just bring out the pistols. I would love to get some tips from you.:D
    You a member at any indoor? I have Membership at Firing Line.

FIRING-LINE Indoor Shooting Ranges

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I was a member there for a long time. But when I moved from Northridge to the west end I let it lapse. We used to shoot there every Monday night.

Let's plan an evening there, or head to the dez on a Sat. I get twitchy when too many people are at the indoor range. I'm afraid of getting the "hot lead injection". I'll send you an email in a bit.

12. bobd42

bobd42 New Member

Thanks for the nice picture , i have never seen one of these before .
    Just when you get to thinking that there is nothing new to be see up pops
    another suprise .

13. lewwallace

lewwallace Member

Here's its' bros and cousins: c/w top left; 32, 9mm Browning Long, 38acp, 455 No1 MkI!

Attached Files:

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Very cool!! Do you shoot them?

15. lewwallace

lewwallace Member

Yup! Ammo not that scarce, but the 455(whew!) 5.00 a pop but bought 35 so now have brass. Once a year at annual collectors shoot!

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Awesome. It is crazy how expensive .455 has become.

17. lewwallace

lewwallace Member

That quote was for455 auto. Bought a box of Dominion 455cf at OCGA show $50. Couple @GB @90-95 per 50 and one box is MkII. 45Colt about the same($50 that is) Also found 100 custom BP 450cf @135.00 including shipping! Got brass now!!

18. Nice pistol.

I don't have a W&S but I do have an H&R version. I want a Webley and Scott but haven't found one yet.

Someone mentioned Ortgies. I have two of them, with different 'address lines'; one has "Ortgies" escutcheons, the other has the "Deutche werke" escutcheons. As 'old guns' go, they are fairly common and still rather inexpensive.

I collect 'art deco' .32 automatics. Still looking for a Remington 51, a W&S and one or two others. Last year I scored an Astra 300. This year I obtained an FN 1900.

My experience is a bit different in terms of accuracy. Most of them shoot well enough for use as a defensive sidearm. (Power isn't overwhelming.) I can keep most shots on a silhouette target center (eight ring and better) out to fifteen yards commonly and some will make head shots reliably at longer distances. This is of course slow, deliberate fire. I find the sights rather lacking and the trigger pulls typically horrendous.

Still, they're an interesting glimpse of the past and the technical evolution of the defensive sidearm.

19. Saman

Saman New Member

I really like the .32 ACP pistols. I have a Savage 1907 in .32. It was made in 1912. It is as functional as it was when it was made. The target shown was fired at 15 yards with 2 hands.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  20. Saman, Two hands at fifteen yards, slow fire, is a good indication of what the gun will do. The shooter has his (or her) own problems, but the gun is capable. Also, 32 ACP is not a real 'inspiring' cartridge, those Savage pistols are pretty reliable in my experience.

There's a lot to be said for a sidearm which is reliable and hits where it's pointed. Not to mention the FMJ .32 ACP is a fair (not great) penetrator. I'd rather have one or two solid and proper hits from a .32 than twelve to fifteen clear misses with a .416 Rigby. (To be fair, I'd rather have a good, solid hit from a big gun than the same good, solid hit from a small gun, but one takes what one can get.)

And those old pistols have some great history.