One gun focus

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NGIB, Mar 16, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The old adage goes something like this: "Beware the man with one gun as he'll likely know how to use it".

I think we'll all agree that if you focus on a particular type of gun you will gain proficiency with that gun. Also, we all have our favorites - mine are 1911s as I shoot them well (like most folks do). This being said, do you like to use and practice with different platforms? I know I do.

So far I've been to 2 action shoots (defensive scenarios with draw & fire, moving while shooting, moving targets, etc.) and I've used 2 different guns so far, a 1911 and a DA/SA Sig. The next one is a week from Saturday and I'll probably use the M&P .40 that's due to be delivered tomorrow. The one after that I think I'll use my 3 inch SP101 revolver and at some point I'll drag out the Taurus PT 92 just for fun. Not only do I like to switch around the platforms I shoot with, I also shoot most of the common handgun rounds pretty frequently. Maybe it's just me but I'd like to be "proficient" with every handgun rather than be an "expert" in only one. The way I see it is if the SHTF, I'll be comfortable and proficient with whatever gun/caliber I find handy...

2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I agree.

I want to understand different platforms and shoot them as much as I can. Even just learning how a particular guns safety works, take down procedure, etc. helps. Proficiency is something we can all aspire for and though it may come a long ways later, a little step towards the right direction is always a good thing.

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I like shooting just about whatever. I'm green enough to this world that there's knowledge to be gained pretty much everywhere. I even like cleaning my guns after every shoot, because it's always another learning opportunity.

I'm not an expert on any platform, but at this point I do probably lean toward steel 9mms and the AR-15 platform. So when we go out shooting, the AR, CZ 75b, and BHP almost always come along. Which others I bring of my 9 guns is a bit of a crap shoot. I've been to a couple "defensive pistol" shoots at the local gun club, and I took my P226 since it's my nightstand gun.

But I do try to pounce on opportunities to work with new platforms, if only for the experience under the belt. Even if I may choose to never own a Glock for example, knowing my way around one is an asset that could someday pay dividends.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I used to work part time at a gun shop and I also had disposable income at that time. It gave me many opportunities to buy and sell a gaggle of guns. I also had the opportunity to learn about a bunch more.

As far as handguns, I currently own two 1911's. At some point I will again own another Browning Hi Power and either a Ruger Gp100 or a Security Six. That's about it. I may have to go through some trades and/or sales to get to those, but I will.

In the meantime, beware the man with two 1911's. ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I'm a firearms addict, I love 'em all....except for Jimenez:D

6. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Sorry, just posting so I can find to read later.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

To be safe handling any firearm, it is good to learn different platforms.

But for serious business (SD, competition), give me a 1911 platform.

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Buy as many as you can.:D

DK.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Being a one trick pony is what I'd rather not be. Like that douche Grandmaster from Top Shot's first season. All he did was whine if he was forced to shoot anything other than his beloved Glock. I figure when the space zombies finally get here, folks that can acquit themselves with whatever gun they find laying around will last longer...:D

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. :cool:

[​IMG]

11. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

For me its grip angle. When shooting IDPA, going from a 1911 to a glock I could see a difference in my score. I shot a HK,1911 or Sig for that matter better. IMO,if your going to shoot a glock,shoot a glock.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  12. Wambli

Wambli Member

I think in the old days when folks could only swing one or two guns and the preservation of their hides actually dependent on being proficient with one, that might have been the case. It is now just a myth perpetuated by those unlucky enough to only have one gun for whatever reason.

Nowadays when you bump into someone with only one gun more than likely it's one of the folks that are convinced that just HAVING a gun in the house is safety enough. So they go buy a gun, put a box of ammo next to it and lock it up in the safe or sock drawer and never look at it again.

They have never heard MY favorite adage "Buying a gun doesn't make you a shooter anymore than buying a guitar makes you a musician..."

13. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I primarily carry a Sig 226 in 357Sig with a S&W 340PD as BUG but I am proficient with S&W K & N frames too as well as the 1911 the A1 does not feel right to me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

i started my collection with many various guns.. but now im wanting to streamline my collection.. i want most of my guns to share calibers.
    i would like the 30-06 family of military rifles, and my handguns to share a caliber with the medusa.

15. jismail

jismail Member

I have limited funds to add to my collection of guns, and I shoot for fun mostly, but one of my side strategies is to have at least one gun for all of the most common calibers in my collection and be very comfortable in their usage so if the SHTF I will be able to utilize whatever rounds I can get my hands on when times are tough.

I currently have a handgun for .22, .380, .357, .44, .45, 9mm, and .40 and long guns in .22, .30C, .30/30, .223 and 12G

Still looking to get a .308 long gun...

16. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

I own a lot of guns, in many configurations, and am fascinated by them in general. There are not very many guns out there that I have not at least tried out.

But for serious use I believe in consistency, as it builds muscle memory and habit.

17. Jay

Jay New Member

I have a variety of handguns. Revolvers, and semi's, from various manufacturers. I do ok with all of 'em, but as posted, muscle memory is a good thing. That's why I've carried a 1911 of one make or another for over 35 years. I never could afford the ammo to compete, but in later years, I began to reload, so now I've got many, many rounds, and could afford it, but old age caught me..... go figure

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont think the beware one gun guy thing rings true. a person with only one gun implies they dont like to shoot or when they do, do so with any frequency.

19. Montanacowboy

Montanacowboy New Member

Do any of you folks practice with your week hand shooting and doing a reload with yourweak hand? When at the range I'll shoot left handed and try reloading with one hand simulating an injury. Surprised myself that I can shoot good with my left hand. MC

20. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

That is where I stand.

I have owned a few handguns within a very wide range (A Walther P22, and Kel Tec PF9, a taurus PT92, and a Raging Bull .44mag), and I think it is fair to say I am pretty capable with any of them. I tend to be pretty good with handguns, and have regularly picked up new-to-me handguns (.380, .40cal, 10mm, 3" .41 magnum, 6" SA .357, and of course various .22s) and shot them better than their owners. Trigger control, slowing yourself down, and learning to keep your eyes on the sights are pretty universal skills that are passed on between most any firearms. So, I am pretty confident I could hold my own with most any handgun.

The same goes with long guns, specifically semi-autos. My first gun was a Ruger 10/22, and I put about 300 rounds a week through it for about a year, in a "private" range of sorts that allowed me to run through all sorts of exercises that I'd otherwise pay hundreds of dollars to do. Since then, I've been able to pick up various semi-autos, from a couple of short-barreled H&Ks, to an AK47, and shoot both better than their owners and impress the other rangegoers.

Still, in all but the most extreme cases, whatever firearm you have to use will be what you brought in the first place (and not something you randomly found). Thus, you will have been better off putting 500 rounds per session through only that firearm, than having put 50 rounds each through 10 different widely varying handguns.

But Jon makes a good point. I would typically say that the guy who only owns or knows how to use one gun is probably not that good. But, I would definitely say I am an exception to that sentiment, as I do only own one gun (my Raging Bull), which I use for pretty much everything, but am actually pretty good with it and most any handgun in general.

Though, at the same time I do feel people tend to be a little "technochauvinistic." That is, we tend to admire equipment over knowledge or skill (not necessarily that any of you are doing that, of course). I can't tell you how many people I've seen riding $15,000, 200mph motorcycles who can barely wobble their way through a parking lot without putting their feet down. I can't tell you how many people I've seen with thousands of dollars of custom modifications done to their cars, but who couldn't tell you a thing about it more than how much power they were told it should make. Just the same, I've seen my fair share of people who come to the range with half a dozen guns, but can't really shoot any of them worth a damn.

I guess basically Im generally saying don't think having a 10-gun collection makes you any more of a shooter than having 1 gun. Strictly from the standpoint of becoming a good shooter, spreading limited resources into just owning a handful of firearms is undoubtedly worse than actually putting time and money into serious practice with the single weapon you own.