One "Gun Control" law you would like to see changed?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by fa35jsf, May 10, 2014.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Lets face it. Many of us would change a lot of so called "Gun Control" laws that are on the books if we had unilateral power to do so. I myself have a long list of laws that I would like to see done away with, that after I would be done things really would look like a modern wild west.

So if you could change or eliminated just ONE gun law, what would it be and why?

It could be Federal or State.

This is of course assuming you had the power to do that. This thread is not to discuss the actual legal process of accomplishing the task, or really to even discuss possible political or civilian outcry. This is just a 'dreaming' thread.

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

1. Revoke the Gun Control act of 1968.

Next in line, the National Firearms Act of 1934.

Last edited: May 10, 2014

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree. all of them are infringement upon the 2nd amendment, but the GCA of 1968 would be a good one to start of with. then work from there.

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I just read one of your posts on another thread. I figured you were going to say this.

Do me a favor, give me a brief synopsis of the GCA of 1968 because I don't remember what that one was about.

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968

The most heinous part, IMHO, is that it incorporated the misleading and meaningless "sporting purpose" standard into the discussion.

6. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

See and the first law I would like to see overturned would be the Federal Assault Weapons registry that makes it illegal to produce new full auto guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

GCA 68. No question

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1934 National Firearms Act.

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I do not see anything useful that any of the gun control laws is accomplishing.

The 2nd Amendment says "... the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

That should go for everyone, including the mentally insane.

10. Axxe55

surely you're not serious? that is beyond rediculous.

Attached Files:

11. Axxe55

Overkill beat me to it!:D

just that it covered so many areas of firearms rights.

gave us those cheaply built small pistols, because the higher quality foreign pistols couldn't be imported anymore.

no mail order guns.

after 1968 every firearm had to have a serial number.

ect., ect., ect.,,,,,,,

12. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Does that include murders rapists etc.

13. Axxe55

i have viewpoint that is simple, in regards to ex-cons and gun rights. if they are considered safe enough to let out of prison, (believed to be rehabilitated) then thye should after a reasonable period of time have their gun rights restored. if they can't be trusted once out of prison to be in possession of a gun, then maybe they need to be still locked up for our safety.

14. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

My view would be just because courts give out the wrong sentence and some get out of jail when most people think they should stay in jail, is not a good reason they should be legally able to own a firearm. Would I want a rapist or murderer living beside me to be able to legally own a firearm no.

15. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

The Gun Control Act of 1968. It restricted how we acquire firearms and what ones we can acquire.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

16. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Wow. Overwhelmingly the GCA of 1968. I was really expecting a more diverse comeback. Looks like I am going to have to dive deeper into my history of that law.

Quick question: Of those that said GCA of 1968, how many of you were alive to see that come into law?

What was the law that closed the class 3 registry?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

GCA of 1986 closed the registry, I wasn't even around for that one.:eek:

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I also have to go with The Gun Control Act of 1968. Huge adverse impact on gun prices and availability over 40+ years. Otherwise, it had no limiting effect on gun crime and criminals. As we all know, gun laws don't keep guns out of criminal's hands, they just make things more difficult for law abiding citizens.

19. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I'd start closer to home. I would repeal the incoming FFL transfer. It is redundant and a waste of our money.

The background check can be done by the FFL dealer who sells the gun, before the gun is shipped direrctly to you. All state and local gun laws can be observed by the seller.

20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The "cut off" of adding any full auto firearms to the registry was the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986. Does not affect other Class III firearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

And yes, I was around for the 1968 Gun Control Act.

The 1934 National Firearms Act was where the camel got his nose under the tent. This was where the whole "Class III" thing originated.

camel nose.jpg