Firearms Talk banner

Glock G19 or Ruger SP-101 and GP-100.

• Keep the Glock, you've got mags and ammo, hang onto it.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Two 357mag revolvers would be a better choice.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Just wanted to see the results without voting.

Votes: 5 19.2%
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
TNFrank -
I don't know - you are saying it would be easy to sell the Glock and easy to buy the Ruger revolvers in today's climate, but I find just the opposite to be true. At the gun shows I've been to .. and the gunshops... and talking to dealers... there are practically no Ruger SP101's or GP100's. I've been looking for a 101 for many months... the dealers tell me that Ruger is severely back ordered on them. Check the online stores - you'll see ...

On the other hand - about the Glocks - I see Glocks for sale everywhere. always bunches of them at the gun shows. The last gun show I was at was only a week ago. And a week before that I was at another show in a different city - I had been looking for so long for a 101 or 100 in 357 that I broke down and bought a pristine condition older 357 Colt Trooper at that show --- for a bunch of money - I might add.

So... I don't know about your basic thing about easy to sell a Glock and easy to buy a Ruger. My experience is - lots of Glocks for sale which drives down demand -- and Ruger larger double action revolvers almost impossible to find - not easy to buy. There are still some LCR's around - but not a lot.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I'm going to take a Compromise approach to this. I'm keeping the Glock G19 and the two mags that came with it, adding the +2 bases to them and keeping 350 of my 1850 rounds of ammo and selling off the 2 G17 mags(which I actually already sold to a guy) and 1500 rounds of 9x19mm. That should give me enough to either get into a Ruger 10/22 or maybe an LCR in 22lr and a brick of 22lr ammo. That way I'll have a 22lr to "play" with and still have the Glock G19 for CCW/EDC and Home Defense use.

I'm going to take a Compromise approach to this. I'm keeping the Glock G19 and the two mags that came with it, adding the +2 bases to them and keeping 350 of my 1850 rounds of ammo and selling off the 2 G17 mags(which I actually already sold to a guy) and 1500 rounds of 9x19mm. That should give me enough to either get into a Ruger 10/22 or maybe an LCR in 22lr and a brick of 22lr ammo. That way I'll have a 22lr to "play" with and still have the Glock G19 for CCW/EDC and Home Defense use.
I'd think twice about selling the ammo :(

There are very few guns that I have sold that I wasnt sorry about later. If it were me I would save up for a revolver. About the only thing I dont miss is my old Jennings J-9. Heck I wish I still had my High Point to keep in my truck.

I am not a Glock fan. I am not a Glock hater either. I just dont happen to own one.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I'd think twice about selling the ammo :(
Why, I can always load up more. Berry's and XTreme still are making plated bullets for a decent price, primers and power are still available and I've picked up tons of 9x19mm brass at the local shooting area, no one reloads it(except for me.LOL) so I'm always "good to go" on 9x19mm long as the powder, primers and bullets hold out.:D

haha soon ammo will have more value than money. Can't go wrong with 22 though, i just picked up a s&w 15-22 and i love the darn thing. I hear the 10/22s are nice also. Either way id stock up on 22 and 9mm before prices go up.

yeah i saw this video that says Dianne Feinstein wants to consider certain handguns as "assault weapons". I'll try to put a link to the video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDglpt8hpyg&feature=share[/ame]

I was at the local gun show yesterday. I sold/traded my Mini 30 and my 22 mag Marlin 25. I came out with a very nice Browning BLR 308, an extremely nice tuned stainless 4" Ruger Security Six ($300):) and $250. I saw several new GP100's $585 and 1 used at $500. Several used 687 Smith's $600-$800. The $800 was an overpriced tuned 6". One guy was carrying a Rem R25 in 243 asking $2500. He was still carrying it when I left. People were asking $2k for AR's but I did not see anyone buying at those prices. 223 ammo was non existent and a lot of overpriced mags. There was a new XDs for $575. Only one there. I was not paying too much attention to pistols but I did not see any really exorbitant prices on them. AK's were gone in a hurry at $900+ for a WASR.

Why, I can always load up more. Berry's and XTreme still are making plated bullets for a decent price, primers and power are still available and I've picked up tons of 9x19mm brass at the local shooting area, no one reloads it(except for me.LOL) so I'm always "good to go" on 9x19mm long as the powder, primers and bullets hold out.:D
Midway has or had a sale on Rainier plated. I picked up 1k 9mm 124HP for a little under $100. I have been slowly prepping cases. I loaded about 700 rounds of 38spl with Berry's a couple of weeks ago. Berry says 1000 fps while Rainier says 1500 fps. Still call for lead loading data.
If you go the 357 route consider getting a 357 rifle at some point. 400 to 500 fps gain. The 9mm will only get 150-200 fps.

I responded to a similar question a while back, and I'll respond in a similar manner...
How many guns can you shoot at once?

You only really must have one handgun, and you must be proficient with it (otherwise, you're a danger to yourself and others).

Needs vs wants needs vs wants needs vs wants...

Which is more important to you? You want one that you're proficient with? I see you've already owned a Ruger revolver in the past, so I would hope you're proficient with one already. But what about maintaining that proficiency? .357 mag ammo is way more pricey than 9mm, and you'd be shooting twice as much if you have two... You can save by shooting .38 through them, but you'll still be wanting to shoot both...

I would say stick with what you have, maintain your proficiency, and just save up for the other one's later if you desire.
LOL...."You'd be shooting twice as much if you have two" I do that behind my barn sometimes, but dont try it at the range..

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I picked up 1K of Berry's plated 100gr Hollow Base Round Nose for $77 shipped. Berry's has a lot better price then MidWay and X-Treme sometimes has a better price then Berry's depending on how many you want to order.
I still have around 250 of the 100gr HBRN's left and around 400 primers. Just need to get another Lb of Unique and pick up some brass at the local shooting spot and I'll be set to load up a few boxes. :D
I'd like something either smaller(Ruger LC9) or a 22lr/22Mag/22 Hornet long gun or maybe a Pump 20ga shotgun. I'm not going to be in any hurry. I'll keep an eye on the local guns for sale site until I find something that'll be useful and in my price range. ;)

Sounds like you should keep the Glock set up you have for SD/HD, but i understand the desire for a revolver. I have "a few"..:rolleyes: of them. They are beautiful, almost mechanical works of art. They stay in the family for generations. I kind of view auto pistols as throwaways. I have them, they are best for concealed carry, and putting a lot of lead downrange in a hurry. But, imo not as much fun to shoot as a revolver.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.