One eye v. Two eyes

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by trapshooter11, May 9, 2012.

1. trapshooter11

trapshooter11 New Member

I just picked up trap shooting recently. A lot of people say it is better for me to keep both eyes open when I shoot. I'm right handed and right eye dominant butch my right eyes vision is a lot worse than my left so my left eye tends to take over. I shoot a lot better with right eye open only currently. Should I switch to two?

2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I'm gonna be honest, I shoot a shotgun the wrong way (Left eye closed right eye open). That being said I can hit 85/90 clays in the White Flyer box. I just like the sight picture better. I can still point ok with 2 eyes, I just see two barrels and two beads no matter what I focus on. It seems like I can just figure to aim right about "there" and hit the clay pretty much every time with one eye closed.

3. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I guess it depends on if you can be competitive using one eye closed. As a baseball coach I had would say, "If you're gonna do it wrong you better be damn good".

4. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

both eyes open and on the bird !! going back to baseball do you watch the ball or the bat ? 85/90 aint gonna cut it in competitive american trap you best be hitting 98/100 . and in sporting that gust of wind just moved the bird 5 ft from your spot shot . forget aiming lead shoot follow thru

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Wouldn't that make you left eye dominant? :confused:

6. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

no vision and dominance are different i would make sure of my dominant eye and get some glasses

7. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I agree w/ Tony. In the first place, the eyes are the rear sight of the shotgun. Keep both eyes open. If you close one eye, you have lost your depth perception. Too many people shoot a shotgun like a rifle. A rifle is aimed, a shotgun is pointed.
    cottontop

8. Sand_Squid

Sand_Squid New Member

I use to shoot with one eye closed(left) until I got into the military. After getting yelled at and other motivating ways from the instructors, I got the hang of it. Looking back on it, it has improved my shooting, especially grouse hunting and archery seen how the arrow flies off the rest, and accuracy.
    It does take time to get use to.

9. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

You are correct I am trying to adjust to two eyes.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

When i was younger i used to close one eye, then once i got into LE that all changed. When your conducting high risk search warrants, you need both eyes open at all times.

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I decided to go with 2 eyes open all the time for one very simple reason: One less function to control in a critical situation. There are so many things going on in one's brain, so much critical input, during an event in which one's life is in danger, that I don't want to have to close an eye to get off a shot. I always shoot with 2 eyes open.

That's true for my shotgun shooting, too.

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Yes - both eyes open is the ideal BUT some of us are right handed w left eye dominant and I have to close the dominant eye to get a single sighting plane. I shoot 22/25 which is just above middle of the road for my club.

Some stations, in skeet, I can shoot w both eyes open but I am not as consistent so when beer or bragging rights is on the line, I either close one eye or use one of those dots for my glasses.

13. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

Imam right handed with a right eye dominance situation. I find that it is a lot easier for me to acquire the sight and target with both eyes open.