One essential survival item

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by opaww, Jun 30, 2009.

1. opaww

opaww New Member

One essential survival item I will hopefully always have is the old tried and true Military Canteen cup. With the canteen cup you can do with out a mess kit for the most part, It can be used to cook in or just to make coffee, hot coco, boil water for drinking and cleaning up some. It is versatile in its uses, light weight, takes up only a little bit of room, and costs a few dollars.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed, great point. I have 10 of them. :D

4. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

My essential survival item would have to be beer.

5. karlsgunbunker

karlsgunbunker New Member

Don't forget the Canteen cup stove.
    It fits around the cup when packed and makes it easy to heat water in the cup.
    I have one of these setups for every family member.

6. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Which you can make if you need to, but without a cup you can't drink it!

7. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

I haven't used it in a while, but I completely agree. From shaving to coffee drinking, that cup was always there when I was in the field. And the little heater I had would bring the water to a rolling boil within a minute or two. Hooah - good post.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

One other essential survival item that takes up virtually no space, and can be had for free is some shredded tire rubber.

A small piece of tire rubber can be easily lit, and burns hot and long. It is a great method to use in starting a fire with wet tinder and kindling.

9. opaww

opaww New Member

Good post M14sRock

10. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Keg stands.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I usually buy mine in a container that can be used as or modified to serve as a cup (also a dandy target with built-in positive reinforcement). :)