One cop's view of open carry

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by JWagner, Sep 8, 2013.

1. JWagner

JWagner New Member

2. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Great article....

One part I want to point out to, it's the advice he gives to the citizens that open carry - and something too many people (even on here) seem to have issues with.

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Good articles.
    helps explain both sides of the encounter to the other person :)

4. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The older brother, who was a LEO at the time, two of his LEO buddies and I had been out blasting bunnies. We stayed out until dark, and didn't get back to town until about 2330, after the shift change at the local convenience store. We stop in for some junk food, and there is a guy behind the counter none of them has seen before with some crude tattoos, (this was the early seventies when people didn't get inked), and not wearing the uniform smock.

They all start peaking in the coolers and looking behind things, to be sure there isn't a dead clerk stashed somewhere. The guy gets progressively more nervous the longer they look around. One of the guys goes out and uses the pay phone to call for assistance. Two black and whites roll in and the guy behind the counter breaks out the door screaming, "Help", and dives behind one of the cars.

We had all been packing long barreled S&Ws for two days and forgot we had them strapped on. The presence of four guys that hadn't shaved or bathed in a few days, all wandering around the store "snooping", had scared the bejesus out of the poor guy.

So, I know first hand that guys with guns tend to scare the general populace.

5. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Is it bad that I laughed at this?

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Good read, thanks!:)

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

pretty good article and it's always nice to know and see it from both sides.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Good article. Thanks for sharing.

9. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

We did after things calmed down.

10. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Having worked in a gas station, I would have tried talking to you all exactly ONE time. And your response, or lack of, would have dictated whether I call the police. I didn't mess around with that kind of stuff.

11. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

Great article. The guy makes alot of sense while respecting the rights of law abiding gun owners.

12. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Why would you call the police? You think maybe they would get there in time to save you? :D

13. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

haha it's a valid point for most places BUT this gas station in particular was no more than half a mile from the police station, and we were all very close with the local PD. If I had made the call, they would have been IN the building in less than 2 minutes. Guaranteed ;)

14. JoeSchmuckatello

JoeSchmuckatello New Member

I do question why he would seem to lump anyone in a militia in with gang bangers. I didn't see anywhere else in the piece where he seems to consider militia members 'nutcases' or some other kind of 'questionable' individual.

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Good informative articles, including the ccw article.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

What has happened to this country?

Open carry LACs get ridiculous knee-jerk

reactions from sheeple.

Violent criminals get better treatment

from the criminal justice system

victims.

Maybe "criminal justice" is a poorly

thought out term. How about the

"victim justice" system ?

17. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

As this article pointed out many of us that choose OC, including me, do so not only for self defense but also as a form of political protest/activism. I hope many on here especially the LEO's were paying attention to the comments that pointed out that just because someone is OC does not give probable cause to detain as ruled by the Supreme Court. Open Carry is fairly common here in Montana so I don't expect to have any problems with cops. However if I am stopped just for OC chances are I will probably tell the cop to piss off because I don't like being bothered over stupid ****. If further detained I will remind the cop that OC is not probable cause to detain. If that does not get through the cops thick head and I am even further detained especially proned out and disarmed I will be suing the cop as well as his/her department and will make sure that he/she is flipping burgers for minimum wage or homeless by the time I am finished dragging them through the court system. If you do not have a valid reason to bother me don't I tend to be an A$$hole when someone does.

18. Donn

Donn Active Member

Don't know why that would surprise you, Joe. Excrement rolls downhill, in this case from D.C. That's how the current occupant and his minions think.

19. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

How true it is.

20. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Open carry is a mixed bag, with potential for both positive and negative effect on the person carrying and those around him/her. As the article points out, a person OC'ing should display a positive, friendly attitude toward other people. I have seen some people open carrying who swagger around with a "Rambo" sneer on their faces, being intentionally abrasive in their treatment of others. Apparently fantasizing about being the "hero" in a juvenile action movie. In order to protect your own right to carry, you should always display a positive attitude, being calm, polite, and conducting your business while drawing as little attention to your armament as possible, so nobody is uncomfortable while you are around. It is an opportunity to make a good impression on the general public, and maybe by so doing, recruit others to the cause instead of driving them away.