One caliber for home defense...

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Jagermeister, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Castle Tutelage is recommending the .40 S&W as the one caliber for all home defense. For carbines and pistols. Please see his explanation. I have a forty, but do not think a pistol caliber is ideal. I recommend the .223 in an accurate, short barrel semi-automatic rifle. It is high capacity (30), shoulder supported, controllable, easy to use, fast firing and low recoil system. All family members can use this cartridge with proficiency. What is your one caliber for home defense?
    [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dUMuObP298s[/ame]

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The first caliber I will have in hand is .45ACP as I work my way to the 12ga.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

4. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

My pistol is to get me to my shotgun. My shot gun is to get me to my rifle. If you are not dead yet I will get you with my rifle.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Which is great and all, but doesn't in any way answer his question.

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

I guess ideally I'd say 12ga for best HD caliber.

I haven't bought mine yet, though, so for lack of better options I'm currently running 9mm... :(

7. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Only one?

No question, 12 ga., for HD, for small game, for large game, for sport, for SD!

200 cm. to 200 yds.!

12 ga. gets it done.

8. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

Short 12ga for hd given the way my house is laid out.
    Every 12ga user has his preferred loads for different things and different reasons. That's probably a whole different thread topic all together.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Let's have another caliber debate.......................

Attached Files:

10. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

....................let's not, let's jut go with..................

Attached Files:

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Talking about calibers on a firearms forum? How inappropriate. :p

If we stopped discussing various issues, even ones talked about in the past, we would not have a forum. Also, firearms community and industry changes all the time. Visiting old issues keeps us current. I brought up the video because he had interesting ideas about his choice in caliber. I thought it would bring up good discussion with forum members.

We are picking up new members all the time. They might like to discuss old topics they never participated in. Sure, they can use search, but let's be honest, we know search is not used by very many new members. Plus, it is more fun and educational with a "live" conversation with others. Members who do not what to participate in old topics are not forced to read said topics. Just do not click to open thread. Just like TV....:D Peace my friend:D

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Plus, in the OP, he wasn't calling for a caliber debate.

He was simply asking what everyone uses. I fail to see how that's a caliber debate.

A caliber debate would be something along the lines of:

A: .223 is the best caliber ever for everything!
    B: ur such a newb. .308 is clearly superior!
    A: yeah, we'll ur mom is fat!
    B: :(
    C: OWNED
    D: I like Glocks

13. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

My go to weapon for HD is a 45 acp then a 12ga. If I need anything more then that then I am in trouble. Then I will just dial 911 and wait .

14. readygirl

readygirl New Member

12ga,..00/slug staggered , multiple hidden locations around the house. The P90/.45 is on permanent nightstand duty, as i have aquired better suited CC and target guns.

15. danolator

danolator New Member

.45acp & 12 guage w/#4 buckshot, low velocity

16. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Yep, what he said...

17. Donn

Donn Active Member

Oh boy! Another caliber war!

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Oh, gosh. Let's see. My bedside gun is a .45acp, but my pillow gun is a .40. My stove gun is an N frame loaded with .38 Specials to reduce the likelihood of a round cooking off, but my refrigerator gun is another stainless revolver in .410, which also comes in handy for shredding lettuce. My shower gun is a stainless .357 magnum, but my toilet gun is a .380. You don't want recoil knocking you off the commode at an inopportune time. I guess that about covers it except for my car gun, which is an M1 carbine... get it?

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Wouldn't it just be easier to have your rifle handy?

20. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Castle Tutlege????? Lol

Mr James Yeager said all pistols should be glocks, all glocks should be 9mm, and all glock 9mm should be G19's..... hehe