Once Ammo Is Available Again, Will You Stock Up Better In The Future?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by AR10, May 11, 2013.

1. AR10

AR10 New Member

I kept a large supply of ammo, through this and the last ammo shortage. I tend to do that with everything. I don't buy paper towels, I buy cases of paper towels.

I did not go through the Great Depression, but I do follow concepts written between the lines of history books.

In the future, will this ammo shortage, change the way you supply yourself with ammo?

The way I have always purchased ammo, if I think I will use a box, I buy ten boxes, and put away what I don't need. Next time I need ammo, I might use what I have, or if I am near the store, I buy more than I need again.

2. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Since I moved back into shooting after a long hiatus (7+) years I'll use my older ammo and then set up a restocking plan as I go along.

Last edited: May 11, 2013

3. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

I do the same thing, bathroom items get bought annually, and the like. Thats partially because of how much i work though i would say, 80+ hours a week and shopping? Aint nobody got time for that...

Ammo wise, i heard of the onset and went a week later to the LGS and dropped $1000 and my car was a low rider on the way home ;)

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Other than stocking a little more .22lr, I'll just continue to replace what I shoot.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Damn straight I'll be staying better stocked. This is my first shortage as a shooter. I've always had guns around but rarely shot that much. I always had on hand what I needed, a couple handfuls of .22, a box or two of shotgun shells, and a box or so of .357 magnum.

Being that I shoot more now then I ever have before, this shortage effected me way more than ever. Yes, I'll be keeping a good stock. My goal is a few thousand rounds total. It'll take me a while to get there, because I don't have much disposable income, but once I get what I'm comfortable with, I'll be only replacing what I shoot, or buying one extra box at a time on occasion.

6. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I am already there and in complete concurrence with your point.

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yer damn skippy I will! As it turns out, just by chance, I was left with a good supply. 4-500 22MAG and 17HMR, 900 22LR, 5-600 9MM & 40 S&W. Also, as it turns out, I don't feel this is enough. This summer, I will probably not be shooting anything I can't replace. If I KNEW it was going to return, no prob, but I don't. So if it does, I will have me a saggy spot in the house somewhere.:D

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am a reloader. And I buy everything in bulk. I still have an unopened brick of each type of primer that I use. I also have a couple pounds of each type of powder. I mold my own bullets. I could have gone for years without buying anything if I had to. Reloading is just a hobby. But I started I learned ways to make better ammo. So I started using the really good stuff that I make. But as I got better my mediocre stuff got stockpiled without even realizing it. I have thousands of rounds that are just sitting there. It is good ammo. But it is not as good as the stuff I make today.

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I do the same thing minus the casting my own. Everytime I stop in I pickup a 500 box of lead bullets or another couple pounds of powder. I reload lead in 4 calibers. Been putting Berry's away. I've been lucky to have a great LGS for relading supply. I have atleast 3,000-5,000 primers for everything but magnum. All bought since December. My thing right now is buying once-fired brass and storing it away and .224/.308 bullets.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Ya damn skippy #2...;)

11. davva360

davva360 New Member

I have a relatively modest stockpile right now. Less than a 1000 rounds of 9mm, 300 shotguns shells and 1300 22lr.

I don't feel like I have enough to shoot anything but shotgun shells right now because that's the only thing that is easy to replace.

So to answer the question. Yes I will gradually stock up more once availability is somewhat normal. I would like to have 2000 rounds of 9mm, 500 rounds of shot shells and 3000 or more 22lr.

I figure I will still be able to shoot some during the next shortage if I keep that amount on hand.

12. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

The first time I was shooting...when younger...I kept a box or two of each caliber on hand for hunting..that was all. This year, when I bought my handguns..it got me back into the game big time...not just shooting handguns but rifle, shotgun, and BP. I have effectively stocked up to a comfortable place for all of my long guns except .22. 100 .410 (shot rarely), 500 12 ga., 120 30.06 (used only for hunting and occasional range practice), 50 16 ga. (wall hanger..family heirloom), 500 .22 (need much more), 120 BP, 750 .40. Not at goal but happy so far.

13. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

I'll continue to very modestly buy as I see the right price point as well as replace what I use. I enjoy target shooting w/ 22lr, 9mm and 223/5.56. If the Stuff HTF, It will be as history shows be slowly and by degree - but not in my life time. The problem is almost always like the frog in the pot of water that slowly comes to a boil and then it's too late. Americans are generally so dumbed down with various emotional "issues", we never consider the unintended consequences until the "train has long left the station." My $.02 FWIW. :)

14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I too take advantage of quantity discounts and bargains I lookout for -- male window shopping. LOL No, I won't do anything differently. Actually, I will. I will be buying LESS ammo in the future than I used to for sure.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

NOW I have to have Skippy and banana's for lunch. Damn your eyes (whatever that means)! I passed up on that last time I had that urge...

Have you SEEN how expensive peanut butter is? Christalmighty, it is unaffordable and I'm gonna buy two tubs shrinkwrapped together! Don't tell me there's no inflation Hussein Obama. Like my ammo, I take advantage of quantity discounts but ammo and peanut butter are damn near unaffordable (whatever that means) these days...

16. towboater

towboater Active Member

I'm in no rush. I still have ammo. I don't want to add fuel to the fire. If prices return to normal. Ill buy more to replenish what I've shot.

17. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

You don't get time to shoot! Or are you on and off equal amounts of time usually Towboater?

18. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

It is good that you have enough on hand to have that mentality...I am just starting so I cannot have that thought yet. If I shoot today....I have to replace beforehand or immediately after..cannot waiy for the day when I do not have to feel that way!

19. Standandfight

Standandfight New Member

LGS?

New here, trying to learn the new set of vocabulary. Thank you for your patience.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Local gun shop/store