On the Road Again

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Gordo323, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I have a SHTF plan when I am home.

Problem is I travel for work (airlines and rental cars and hotels).
    I am on the road more often than I am home, therefore I stand a good chance of being out of town when I am the least prepared.

I fly with 2 checked bags (1 suitcase and 1 toolbox) and 1 carry-on (laptop).
    Just wondering if there are any others that travel and suggestions for essentials to carry in my suitcase.

2. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Cash. If you can act early enough to pay your way home, before everybody realizes currency is worthless, that would solve all your problems.

3. culdee

culdee New Member

I am in the same boat and I am looking more and more at packing a handgun. I have CCW for most of the states I travel in anyway. So I bought a pelican case and have it set up to fit inside a med size suitcase. I don't like the idea because of the extra TSA hassle but I do not want to get caught in Texas when the zombies are knocking on the door in NY and all the flights are grounded. Things are getting crazy. If I have to I can drive home in 2 days:(

4. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I always carry cash, but only a couple hundred bucks. not enough to get me home!
    I also pack 10 silver and 1 gold, 1 oz. coins. Might get me a little further, but it could also be worthless!
    I can empty a couple of gallons of water from the hotel's toilet tank, but after that I am on my own.
    Maybe I should be thinking of a lightweight water purification device.

5. culdee

culdee New Member

katadyne makes a nice one about the size of a normal sports bottle.

6. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I check a handgun most every time I fly.
    Problem is, I have to buy ammo when I get to my destination.
    I have to pay for overweight baggage because of my tools.
    Just looking for advice.

7. culdee

culdee New Member

why can't you pack ammo???? If its in a hard plastic case or original box its supposed to be ok.

8. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

My bags are already maxxed out!
    I think most airlines allow 75 lbs, per bag, and mine are at the limit.
    You can fly ammo in your checked baggage on most airlines, I just can't afford anymore weight:)

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I too am one of the new breed of homeless- I live in an aisle seat on a Boeing 737.

In my computer bag (which you will get from me when you pry it from my cold fingers)- $200 in 20s, 10 in quarters. One ziplock bag. Another zipper, clean skivvys and sox. Another bag- instant oatmeal, instant coffee. matches. Water purification tabs. Each bag will carry a quart of water. Plastic poncho, disposable R99 respirator, fire escape hood, LED flashlight. New pair of 72 inch bootlaces. Roll of black duct tape on shoulder strap, and a carbiner. TSA compliant multi-tool. Aspirin, bandaids, Immodium. A prepaid phone card, a second govt ID, spare $500 limit credit card ($0 balance). 2 miniature disposable toothbrushes.

In my checked bag, a S&W Mdl 36, 25 rds of SD ammo, Swiss Army knife.

It ain't "Escape from Alcatraz", but within size/ weight limits, it has gotten me thru some rough trips.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

PS- Gordo- visit your local backpacker's store. Katadyn or PUR. About the size of a can of tomato soup. Carry mine when going outside the US. or Detroit.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

ROFL. The size of a can of tomato soup.......not chicken noodle, but tomato.

Sorry, C3, I just had to! :p

12. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

WOC, I like tomato soup (you say tomato I say tamata) or chicken noodle?:D

c3, culdee and ploofy thank's for the advice! I'll look into the water filter.

I guess I should re-evaluate how I pack and give up of some of the luxuries for some items that could become necessities.
    My daughter says she can braid para-cord into a shoulder strap for my laptop, I liked the idea!

13. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I have two American Eagle silver coins in my riding bag. I'm not sure why I didn't put them back in the safe but I figure "why not?".