On the hunt for a new scope.

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Txhillbilly, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Knowing the financial situation that Gunwerks is in,I sold my Revic PMR 428 Smart Scope. I loved that scope,but not knowing what the future holds for Gunwerks,I didn't want to take a chance on ending up with a $3k paper weight if it ever broke and they weren't around to fix it.

So,I've been searching for a new scope. I've found some great used scopes - Nightforce ATACR, Kahles K525i,and a bunch of S&B PM II's. Too bad I shoot LH rifles,that leaves the S&B out because of the way they have the illumination knob mounted on the LH side of the eye piece.
    The problem with most of the scopes I've found,I don't like the reticle's in them. I hate the Horus and Tremor reticles. I have several scopes with a Mil christmas tree reticle,but the Horus & Tremor reticles IMO,are just too busy to use.
    I'm trying to limit myself to a $2k budget on this scope,maybe a little more for a top tier scope with a reticle that I can live with.

As for New scopes,I'm looking at the new Tract Toric UHD 4.5-30x56, the Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30x56, and the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56. All three of these are pretty much the same scope,all made at LOW in Japan.
    I already have a Cronus,so I know how good these scopes really are,but the Tract Toric uses Schott (German) lenses,and it and the Delta Stryker both have locking turrets. The Cronus BTR doesn't.
    The Tract runs about $1700,the other two are $1600.
    Each of these scopes have pro's & con's. I don't like the color of the Tract. I don't like that Delta only illuminates the center dot of the reticle. And I don't like that Athlon doesn't have locking turrets.
    Looks like I've got some deciding to do!

towboater likes this.
  2. gr8fuldoug

gr8fuldoug Well-Known Member Sponsor

Just a heads up on the Gunwerks rumor, they are not in any financial trouble.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM GUNWERKS CEO REGARDING WELLS FARGO LITIGATION

Cody, WY – May 22, 2020

The reports of Gunwerks’ demise are completely false. In fact, we’re crushing it! So far, 2020 has set records for sales performance and profitability, and it only gets better from here!

This week’s report of Wells Fargo filing a lawsuit has gotten a lot of attention. The bottom line is, the litigation has been settled, the entirety of our Wells Fargo operating loan has been paid off, and it is business as usual for Gunwerks.

The Wells Fargo narrative of Gunwerks’ financial distress was untrue. The dispute was never about Gunwerks’ financial condition or late payments, but about a difference of opinion on asset valuation. Within days of filing the suit, it has been settled and the case will be dismissed immediately.

Most of the stories circulating around the social media landscape are just wrong! Here are two good examples: In Wells Fargo’s narrative complaint filed in federal district court, they assert that Gunwerks was delinquent on sales tax payments. This is not true now and has never been true (Check here for a list of current delinquents in WY). They also allege that Gunwerks is late paying vendors. Again, this is untrue. We pride ourselves in dealing fairly with our vendors.

Unfortunately, despite our numerous good faith attempts to resolve the issues with Wells Fargo, the bank chose to file a lawsuit, which has now been settled. Fortunately, we had the resources to pay off the credit line within two business days of Wells Fargo filing suit. Our customers have really supported us this year with record sales. We’re on track to have our best performing year on record.

In 2020 Gunwerks will be announcing several new and innovative products that have been in development the past several years. Keep an eye out for an entirely new, next-gen rifle system engineered from the ground up, at least three more Skunkwerks projects, and new optics products and ballistic solutions in the Revic lineup.

The damage to Gunwerks’ reputation from Wells Fargo’s lawsuit will take quite a while to overcome, but with our team and a foundation of innovation and product quality, we see this as a minor incident. We’ve never been more excited about our business!

Sincerely,

Aaron Davidson, CEO Gunwerks

Shopfox, alsaqr, Txhillbilly and 2 others like this.

3. Txhillbilly

Thanks Doug,I wish the best for Gunwerks,but a lot of guy's are dumping their Revic scopes right now.

4. gr8fuldoug

gr8fuldoug Well-Known Member Sponsor

Don't get out of those scopes in fear of Gunwerks not being there. You'll be selling a great quality scope for no reason as they'll be there a LOOOOOOONG time and they make a great scope as you already are aware

5. Txhillbilly

The Revic is a great scope,but for people that aren't computer savvy like myself,they can be difficult to set up. The instructions for the scope really suck. I had to call their tech's every time I had an issue with either programming the scope,or trying to use the app for the scope.
    A 5 year old could probably set one up in a couple minutes,but I didn't grow up in the electronics age,and know very little when it comes to computers,smart phones/scopes.

I doubt I'll miss having the Revic scope,but they are nice.

6. Txhillbilly

Just came across a killer deal on a barely used S&B PM II 5-25x56.
    If I can't make it work on my LH Nucleus action,I'll just put it on my RH bolt Savage custom 6.5 CM and put the Cronus from that rifle on the Nucleus.

7. Txhillbilly

The new to me S&B PM II showed up today. It's a really nice scope. I got it mounted on my LH Nucleus action with no clearance problems at all. Probably have over an inch of clearance between the illumination knob and the bolt handle.
    Plan on going to the range tomorrow to get it sighted in.

8. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

What kind of rings are you running?

9. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I have a scope for my mauser coming tomorrow from Doug. Bought a few from CL so far. Been very satisfied.

10. Txhillbilly

I run American Rifle Co. M10 rings on all of my 34mm and 40mm main tube scopes. IMO,They are the best scope rings made. They aren't cheap,but neither are the scopes that get put in them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SRK97 and Gatoragn like this.
  11. Txhillbilly

Camera Land always has some great deals on optics. I've bought several scopes from Doug over the years.

PaBushMan likes this.
  12. Txhillbilly

Here's some pics of the new scope,and man is it nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PaBushMan likes this.
  13. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Very nice scope. My new one came today. It wont fit my mauser. Tube to short. But it fits my 770. And the scope that was on the 770 fits the mauser. So twice the fun zeroing in scopes, The bummer is the scope that was on 770 came with it. Already zeroed. I never had to touch it. It's been on there for almost 20 years,

Txhillbilly likes this.