On the Cheap

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by jeepcreep927, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I picked this up about a month ago just on a whim. Wasn't expecting much but I am very pleasantly surprised. This thing eats everything from full on goose loads to reduced recoil junk and everything in between. It can be adjusted for light loads but I haven't bothered. Functions fine so far with everything. It won't win any beauty contests but it's definitely a "worker".

I think Remington bought all the rights to it and they are jacking the price up. Got this one at Dick's ( which I hate) for a shade over $360.00. A good deal for a pretty good shotgun.

Attached Files:

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Student of mine told me about these guns recently. I hadn't heard of them before. He ordered his through a local dealer and paid right around $300 for it. He claimed that it is a rebadged 1100 with cheaper parts. I haven't handled one but for $300 for an autoloader, might be a pretty good deal if it will hold up.

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

It is made in Russia, and it is NOT a rebadged 1100. If you like it, fine. Remington was importing them as their Spartan line, but they quit.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would be concerned about a student who claims things without doing research himself. That is not a "rebadged 1100". If it was an 1100 at birth, it would be labeled by Remington as a 1100.

Your student needs to study some more.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Please let us know how it holds up long term. There are some very underrated inexpensive firearms out there. The Bersa Thunder is one that comes immediately to mind.

6. amoroque

amoroque New Member

i would really love to see a range report on this one. I have a friend that is very interested in purchasing a Baikal.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had an opportunity to pick up a Baikal 12ga. SxS a few years back. I blew it. It was a nice gun, exposed hammers, nice blue, pretty wood and included several chokes. Dang hindsight.

8. photopro

photopro New Member

Baikal

We have had Baikals in the UK for quite some time and in the scheme of things they are garbage, OK they are cheap but you get what you pay for.
    The quality of the woodwork is at best mediocre - some times you can still see the word "Bananas" through the polish. The blueing frequently turns to browning and needless to say they are worth jack when you try to sell or trade them in. Oh and they are made in Russia.

photopro

9. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I realize this is an import from Russia. I didn't buy it for a show piece, I bought it so I wouldn't feel bad about laying it down in a slush filled canoe while duck or goose hunting.

I have about three hundred rounds through it with no issues, as mentioned above. The sythentic stocks are just about as "high quality" as any other factory offering, on a shotgun anyway. The blueling on the barrel is thin, but it has gone bang ever time thus far.

Again I bought this as a beater. Cosmetics can be overlooked considering the price. God invented Dura Cote for a reason...

10. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

You are correct, by the upmarket British shooting fratterity they where looked down upon, however many a working class lad like myself whilst growing up it was all we could afford. They are simply a typical Russian weapon no frills work horse. I had one for 15 years and it never let me down. I am now in a position where I can afford almost any gun I please but this gun snobbery we still get in the UK still makes my blood boil.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Tell us what you really think. ;)

Of course, I don't think we would expect anything else from the UK when it comes to shotguns. Kind of like trying to get the Germans to buy a Japanese car.

12. photopro

photopro New Member

[​IMG]

Actually that's not the case very few of the members of our UK hunting forum own a British made shotgun favouring Benelli, Beretta Browning etc etc. Investing a significant amount of money in a showcase firearm is not for the likes of me or most of the people I know. However I value the not frequent enough shooting I manage to sneak away on so much so that I wouldn't trust it to a piece of recycled Russian T70 tank bolted to a chunk of floor board. There are better options than Baikal, secondhand of otherwise, and if it retains more value when you need to trade it doesn't that make more sense ? More bang for your buck ?

photopro

13. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

IMHO you obviously know Jack S**t about Russian weapons. ( piece of recycled Russian T70 tank bolted to a chunk of floor board ) What you are describing here is in fact the one of the most reliable and effective weapons ever produced. The AK47. There is more combined knowledge of weapons on this site than probably anywhere else in the world. I would invite any members with experience of Russian weapons to add their comments.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Looks good to me Jeep. The Russian guns and Turkish guns may not win many beauty contests but they tend to work well for a LONG time. They gobble up abuse.

Please keep us updated with the reliability and durability of your Baikal. I could not care less how the finish holds up, as that is what Aluma Hyde 2 is for.

15. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Nothing wrong with Baikal. You done good. I personally don't care for synthetic but for the price you can't beat it.

16. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My Mosin can attest to the reliability of Russian guns...

17. frenchnra

frenchnra New Member

I have a Baikal IJ 43 "special slug", 22" barrels, Truglo sighting stuff ... It looks solid and I love to use it with less recoil slugs, it is VERY accurate ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  18. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Vey Nice. A real world target from a real world slug gun in the hands of a real world hunter. My dad's Ithaca model 37 deer slayer would do groups like that, but i never could get them that small with my 28 inch modified barrel. So i cut it down to 22 inches cylinder bore and voila! Oh, I haven't been able to read the packing crate words under my synthetic stock finishes either.

I like to shoot my targets with progressively bigger calibers too (see small bullet hole at 5 o'clock)..it makes them last longer. Again, nice target.

19. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I would remind everyone that the AK-47, the best assault rifle of all time, was a Russian product. It wasn't pretty either, but it worked way better than the Mattel... er... M-16. They had an interesting article in I think the NRA mag when Remington met with them about importing the Spartans. They didn't get the looks issue, at all.
    I tried a Stevens 411 12 ga SxS for waterfowl for a short while. It worked every time, auto ejectors and all, and I didn't shoot it too bad, but never felt quite svelte to hand as it were. I liked an old 311 better in the handling department.

20. frenchnra

frenchnra New Member

Thanks !! But I must confess : for this shoot, I was resting on a table :eek: