On my way..

Discussion in 'Oregon Gun Forum' started by Jrod398, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Jrod398

Jrod398 New Member

Hey Guys, I'm moving to Oregon in August and just had a couple questions. Is open carry legal? If so, is it frowned upon or a regular thing? Also, how long do you think it would take to obtain my CCW? Looking forward to pickup an NFA firearm before that goes away there too.

2. Hellgate

Hellgate New Member

Welcome to Orygun

Open carry is legal but frowned upon. You do not need a CCW to carry concealed while engaging in or going to & from a hunting or fishing expedition or shooting competition (provided you are licensed to hunt or fish). Use your head. If you want to pack a pistol openly while out camping or recreating, then no biggie but I wouldn't take it to a public event or you will be questioned by police as to why you are doing so. It probably takes about a mont to get your permit. Check with any sheriff's office and they will have a website page with the particulars. We are a "shall issue" state without reciprocity. Many get both the Oregon permit and the Utah permit which then multiplies the number of states who recognize your right to carry.

3. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

As an EX Washingtonian that spent a considerable time in Oregon ( but to be COMPLETELY HONEST I've been in Alaska for the past 21 years), it largely depends on the area of the state. Portland and the surrounding area are BLUE and progressive as they can be, Eugene is a college town, and East of the Cascades in rural, farm and field, "don't step on my toes and I'll leave you alone" types. Please understand this is all in generalities, as some very conservative folks live in Portland.

4. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

Get your Oregon drivers lisc asap. You can purchase firearms after being a resident for 90 days.

5. Artbrownsr

Mongo, this was MY evaluation of Oregon. Is it a valid evaluation to YOUR thinking? Or am I off base? Not trying to argue, as I want to know how my view compares to others in the know.
    it largely depends on the area of the state. Portland and the surrounding area are BLUE and progressive as they can be, Eugene is a college town, and East of the Cascades in rural, farm and field, "don't step on my toes and I'll leave you alone" types. Please understand this is all in generalities, as some very conservative folks live in Portland.

6. Mongo

Your description is accurate. You can read the local forum that is focused on Oregon, Washington and Idaho. There is a lot of info and current discussion of firearms, outdoors and legal issues. northwestfirearms.com

7. Artbrownsr

Thanks Mongo, I joined as ArtBrownSr. and told them I was directed there by someone on THIS forum.
    That way if I kick sand in someones face they'll blame this forum for sending me

8. Mongo

I'm a supporting member of this forum. I'm not a supporting member of that one because the moderators will close a thread for any reason in their rules. There does not have to be name calling or threats involved. They are not as bad as THR but close.

9. Artbrownsr

I'll try to keep my nose clean but my ego and mouth tend to stir things up.

10. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Open carry is legal in the state. Cities, such as Portland, may have their own ordinances (as in , NO) The CCW shouldn't be a problem as Oregon is a "shall issue" state. On average about 30 days for your card to arrive. It will depend on your county, however.

11. Mongo

Where do you go to shoot, Cattledog?