Omaha Shooting

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Missileman, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Two nights ago there was a robbery of a Walgreens in Omaha. What was unusual was that a customer pulled out a pistol and killed one of the robbers and held the other for police. The two came into the store with masks on, one carrying a short barreled Rem 870. When one of the thugs grabbed a customer and pointed the shotgun at the clerk, the customer pulled what the paper says was a 40 S&W pistol out of his waist band and shot the one with the shotgun 4 times in the chest. The robber dropped the 870 and ran out of the store, where he collapsed and died in the parking lot. The other robber tried to run, but the customer grabbed him and held him down until police arrived. There was a third person, a get-away car driver who left the scene but was caught last night. The man is being treated like a hero in Omaha (thank God), but there was one issue--no Concealed Carry Permit. So, he has been cited for that and will probably have to pay a fine and may lose his handgun permit (Omaha requires a permit). Couple of lessons here:
    1. Get your permits!
    2. How someone takes four 40 S&W rounds in the chest and runs out of the store is a concern--luckily the shotgun was not loaded (stupid crook), or he may have opened up. Of course I have no idea what ammunition was used--could have been hard ball. I'm thinking about 45ACP only for my concealed carry now.
    3. The customer did everything right except the permit. No charges, other than the permit citation, are pending. He kept his cool, didn't shoot the unarmed robber, hit his target, etc.
    4. He was stopping for some ice cream--you never know when you might need your weapon.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Flush....whoosh.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

While I'm glad the BG was dispatched, this type of story also provides the media with lots of attack fodder. Hopefully, the folks in the midwest won't dwell on the negative parts of this story. In Atlanta the headline would be:

"Vigilante pulls illegal gun and shoots misguided kid."

Be legal folks - be legal. Also raises the question whether you draw & engage even if you aren't directly threatened...

4. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Luckily Nebraska law states that you can use lethal force if you, are anyone else in your vicinity is threatened. There has been almost no backlash here, except from a few fellow gang bangers. The whole state is supporting this guy.

5. GeauxTigersGuy

GeauxTigersGuy New Member

Was just looking for more info on this and found an article posted today of the first interview with the guy who prevented the robbery. Glad to hear Nebraska is standing behind him! Anywho, thought I would share for those that are interested.

Man Who Shot Robbery Suspect Speaks Publicly

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I read the article - is there more than one type of permit in NE?

7. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

wow, an attempted robbery with an unloaded shotgun...

guess it sucks when someone calls your bluff and you aint playing poker.

8. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Yes, what they were referring to was the Douglas County (Omaha) registration permit. When you buy a pistol in Omaha, you have to register it with the county prior to taking possession (even if you don't live there). There is also a state purchase permit, which you have to get before you can buy a pistol anywhere in the state--that one does a background check, the Omaha one is just to raise money for Omaha and harass citizens. However, if you get a state concealed carry license, you do not have to have either a state purchase permit nor register it with Omaha. With an Omaha permit, you can open carry a pistol in the city, but not conceal carry it. The question they are looking at now is whether his pistol was visible in his waistband or not, therefore legal.

9. GeauxTigersGuy

It appears so. I found this article which talks about McCullough's situation a little closer.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ah, Darwinism at work!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.” - Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper (1920-2006)

11. GeauxTigersGuy

Wow. I love that quote Cane! I may have to steal it as it is definitely sig-worthy!

12. Missileman

Missileman New Member

He did used to be a security guard, His old misdemeanor was for having a concealed long blade knife during a traffic stop.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

14. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Update: The Omaha DA dropped the concealed carry charge. He had an open carry permit, and the store video showed the gun in his wasteband. Case closed, he isn't facing charges of any kind.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Very Nice! I hope the state issues him a concealed carry permit as a thank you note.

16. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

freaking awesome!

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Taking 4-40 cal rounds and walking out to collapse? Contrary to what we would like to believe, handguns are lousy man stoppers. They will kill with well placed shots, but are not good at STOPPING a determined attacker. Unless one of the bullets severed the spine, it is not at all surprising the walked out of the store before expiring. A .44 mag would have done no better given shot placement.

I carry a handgun because I do not expect trouble. If there is trouble, it will hopefully enable me to fight my way to my rifle...Then things get interesting.

18. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

That's great...the only thing I would change is...another Cooperism...the man shoulda' had a .45...This is what we never hope for but always want to be prepared for!

19. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Post mortem update--the perp was hit 4 times, one wrist, one arm, one sholder, and one center chest--so the .40 probably did just about as good as anything else would have--he spun, ran through the door a few feet behind him, and fell dead in front of the store.

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

He only made it a few feet? I call that a success. Walgreens should reimburse the guy for the 4 rounds and give him a gift certificate to Front Sight, Thunder Ranch, LFI or any other week long class of his choosing.

Next time it will be 4 to the center of the chest!