olympic arms. yes or no?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jon1992d, Dec 12, 2011.

1. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I wanted to see what everyone on the forum thinks of olympic arms AR15's. Would you buy one? Is it worth buying one and upgrading it. How good are they compared to other brands. Have at it.

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I believe they are probably the #2 worst AR made. Not only that but they pretend they are worth the prices they charge. When I spoke w/ one of their reps he did nothing but dance around.

3. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I have seen there Ar's for $550-$650 new for the basic ar.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You can get a mil-spec AR from PSA for that or less.

Oly has quite the negative reputation throughout the AR community. Well, except at the gun stores who happen to sell them. I don't have much trust in those guys. I've seen some that didn't even know what Federal XM193 was. They thought it was bi-metal Russian stuff :eek:

5. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I feel like i should lie and say i didnt buy an oly arms ar for $600 haha i dont realy regret it cause im 19 its my first ar. And knowing its not top notch i can somewhat expiriment and beat it up without worrying much. I was so excited the day i got it and the gun store only sold oly arms ar's and wen i got home and went threw the manuel i niticed it dosent show me how to brake the gun down and take it apart haha oh well life lesson learned.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Don't let age discourage you from making good decisions.

It's always better to ask for advise instead of validation.

My first AR was a LWRC which is a great rifle but looking back I would have done it differently. Live and learn :)

7. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Hey, look at it as a learning experience, if something breaks, learn to fix it, if something doesn't strike your fancy, or perform how you want(say the trigger) change it out:)

8. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Exactly! what do you guys think a good reasonably priced brand is $750 max price

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What's the best AR value for $750?

Spikes, PSA, lightly used BCM. Don't be scared to Get a quality upper and then assemble a complete lower using one of PSAs $70 lower receivers.

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Psa rocks for the money, they're a great value. You should also lookt at Spikes and Smith & Wesson.

11. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Im looking at going to pa gunsmith school so maybe that will be a project

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I would have to agree with the group reference the OLY. But they have improved from the originals a few years ago. They use to have clips that retained the Hammer and Trigger Pins in the Receiver. Now they have the standard pins as most all other manufacturers. And since you have it if it is working good it will serve your purpose. But I would not put a lot of money in it as a project since if you ever decide to sell or trade it, it still an OLY! Unless they are items that you can easily strip off and replace them with the original items you took off should you sell it or trade!
    Otherwise you will take a beating! Glad to see you are enjoying the FTF and getting interested in the shooting sport! Good Job!

13. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I bought it for a little over 600 new and i kept it in perfect shape also its less than a year old. How much do you think i would be able to ask for it or would i be able to just trade it for another ar? If i could get a better ar for the same price i would rather have a better one. And thanks for all the help everyone!

14. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

+1 for PSA. I have stripped lowers from PSA, even though my dad swears by Stag. The Stag lowers are about $30 to $50 more, and I felt a little awkward buying the PSA, but for multiple projects that adds up to about $100 or more saved.

Just keep shooting what you have. If there's any problems or something feels flimsy, replace those parts and keep rolling until you have what you want. That's the whole idea of a modular rifle. Get a no-go headspace guage and check the headspacing about every 1k rounds.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

So does it shoot ok? If so, I'd leave it alone except for normal maintenance and have fun with it, you can learn a lot about the AR platform. Then maybe start a new build if you like the platform.

16. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

If something did brake would i be able to put the lower receiver from another brand on it even the the top is oly or do you have to keep lower and upper the same brand?

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Many of us have different brand uppers mated with lowers. No big deal.

18. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I'd go a different route other than Olympic for a complete rifle. I say spend the money and it once to your specs. I'd rather spend a bit more up front for high quality parts than go lower end and wish I upgraded later on. I currently am using a pre-ban Olympic lower, that I got in a trade, on my latest build in order to get around the state laws of no flash hider, threaded barrel, etc. I'd like to think the chance of a lower failing is pretty low. The lower didn't fit correctly with the BCM upper. So on the upper I had to slightly grind the locking blocks corners so it could seat fully to let the pin pass through to keep the halves together. There just seemed to be more material on the lower than most companies I delt with which is why I shaved down the lugs on the upper. No big deal on a demo upper and it is now a nice solid fit while being easy to break down. Also, my Oly lower is forged which I'd prefer over cast.

[​IMG]

19. triggernomic

triggernomic New Member

That forend is badass. Where can I get one? Reminds me of those old sterling SMGs

Edit: I may have found it: the TRX battlerail? Sorry... It just caught my eye. Classic

20. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Yep, 15" TRX Battlerail extreme