Older shooters

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by psymmonds, Dec 15, 2012.

1. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

Why is it that when ever I go to the gun range that there's always an older shooter that thinks that their way of handling a pistol is the best and only way. Don't get me wrong I like getting good advice. It's just annoying when each of them has told me something different. I take what I think is the best of the advice. But I was just wondering if any body had an idea of why they think their way is the right way compared to others?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Who cares? Where the hell did you get those magazines?!?!?!

3. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Old timers can be set in their ways in just about everything in life including firearms. I actually respect that even if I feel differently. Hell they made this far so it must work for them.

I normally just thank them for their advice & wisdom and usually the story ends.

Usually not always.

4. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

If the advice is constructive, I will take note but if they are just being bossy about it I will tell them to get the hell away from me and mind their own business.

5. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

And depending on how old you are I may be an old timer.

6. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I will try and help someone with suggestions. And I listen too. There is a lot of new stuff that was not around when I started. I only get persnickity about safety.

7. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Tellin folks what to do and how to do it just comes with age. When I was younger, old folks tried to tell me what to do. Sort of a progression of practices, I reckon.

Not that I'm old.........

Bob Wright

8. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

I bought them off of midwesthuntersoutlet.com. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. The mags constantly jam. I had to tinker around with the spring to get them to work right. Plus it took over 3 months for me to get them. It was ridiculous, and a terrible experience.... But once I fixed them they were fun to shoot and they look cool. Plus they take down on time having to constantly reload my 7 rnd mags. I would recommend any of these sites.
    http://m.sportsmansguide.com/Product.aspx?a=407996&tab=1
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod/1911_15_Round_Magazine
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...vernment-commander-45-acp-15-round-steel-blue

9. I never tell anybody how they should do anything. I've come to realize that young people know everything and are much smarter than me. I fully recognize that as I get older - I keep finding out more and more about what I don't know.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well thanks for the heads up.

11. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

23... I've noticed a lot of people seem younger on forums or maybe it's just how I imagine it. Then come to find out that they older then I thought. So maybe it's just the guys around here.

Plus IMO, your age doesn't determine how old you are, it's how you feel that determines it. I know a lot of people that are older then me that act like they are still in high school.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Young whippersnappers. Come out with all them new fangled shootin plastics and think we old codgers dont know anything. why back in the day ??? Dam-what day was that?? Oh yeah! it was that time when C3 lost all his guns on the Titanic. Horrible accident.:confused: Told him you couldn't trust them new fangled boats with no sails. Young whippersnapper wouldn't listen to an old codger.:D

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  13. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

No problem

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Weren't the Titanic- his boat had sails------

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

No it was the Mayflower;) YOU lost yours on the Titanic hoss:p. As to why they do it-they are usually just trying to help

16. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

The closest I have come to giving people advise is one day at the range I had some youngsters (20s) bitching about how lousy the guns they rented were shooting. So I politely asked them if they minded if I shot them to see what was wrong. To make a long story short once I got done shooting thier rented guns they shut up about how it was the guns fault. I'm 40 years old and I was raised to respect my elders so I try my best to be patient and let them finish thier stories about thier glory days and whatever else they want to talk about. Sometimes I'll even ask them if they wana shoot and compare targets. 10 more yrs ill be and old dude. some might consider me old now.

17. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

As an old codger myself I don't interfere with others unless they ask for help. Always better to mind your own business. No good deed goes unpunished.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I seemed to have an other problem. My big setter and I spend lots of hours at the gun club. I enjoy casting bullets and reloading for every thing from a 22 Hornet to a 45-110 Sharps.
    There is very often a young novice asking Hey mister do you know? Hey mister do you have a screw driver? Hey mister why is this thing shooting? It seems my dog and I end up going home with no guns to clean very often.:rolleyes:

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I shoot outdoors with my pops and or friends, nobody says anything other than great shot, can I shoot that, and when are we going, I'm thirsty for some brew.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  20. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

Why not move to some free state where you dont have to go to some silly gun range to shoot.