Older Ruger 357s?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by CastleKing, Mar 2, 2010.

1. CastleKing

CastleKing New Member

I have seen several older Ruger 357s for sale used lately and I'm not sure what the difference is between the Security Six, Speed Six, and Service Six. Can anyone help educate me?
    I know Ruger has a reputation for being built like a tank, specifically regarding the GP100. Does the same quality exist in these older models as well?

Thanks!

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm not sure of the exact sequence, but those models pre-date the GP100 series. The Security Six had adjustable sights and directly precedes the GP series. The Speed Six had channel sights. I'm not sure where the Service Six fits in there as I don't know anything about it. In fact, I've never seen one.

I had a stainless 4" Security Six and it's the revolver that I miss the most. They are stout, tough revolvers. They are generally available for decent prices. Just get one in good shape and you'll be very happy with it.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

All 3 were made on the same size frame. The Service Six was intended for law enforcement and made with fixed sites.

4. CA357

Thanks Bear. :cool:

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

One of the few guns I regret trading away was my early 80s stainless Security Six. These are great revolvers...

6. CastleKing

CastleKing New Member

Thanks for all the replies. Is the Security Six as durable as the GP100? My understanding is that the GP100 can take a pretty steady diet of full-.357 rounds without any difficulty...something most of the S&W revolvers can't even do. Can the old Security Six take .357s all day?

7. CA357

In a word, yup. :D

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I don't know of any Ruger that can't take a steady diet of magnum loads. That's all any of my Rugers get fed. The Smiths however get fed special loads. I'd but any of the three you mentioned in a heartbeat. . . heck just get all three. ;)

9. Viking

Viking Active Member

I had one of these in 6", in a way I'm sorry I traded it away as well. They were extremely well built, I just wanted to go to .44 mag revolvers otherwise I'd probably still own it.

10. superc

superc Member

I love my Service-Six. It was one of the best revolvers I ever carried back in the .38 only days. Far stronger than the Smiths or the Colts of the same caliber. Durn easy to take apart for cleaning too. Available in stainless steel so I could wear it in the rain and not have to take it apart after each dunking. Nice trigger too.

Here is the way it was supposed to go:

Uniformed Police got the Service Six with fixed sights being the only option.

Plain clothes guys (and gals) got the rounded corners of the Speed Six with a short barrel being the most common option.

Target shooters and Sport Shooters got the Security Six which was available in several barrel lengths.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  11. CastleKing

CastleKing New Member

Good info all. Thanks!

12. freefall

freefall New Member

Security Six was made to be direct competition to Smith Model 19/66. Service Six to compete with Model 13/65. Speed Six was round butt short barrel version of Service Six. All more durable than their Smith counterparts. After Smith brought out the L-frames Ruger switched to the GP series to compete with the heavier model. Wish they'd also kept the old models, I love my Security Six 4", if I could only own one handgun this would be it. If I lived anywhere but Alaska I'd be totally content with a Security Six and a Marlin 94 in .357 as my SHTF armoury. With a .22 of course.