Older AK

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by glockman55, Mar 26, 2012.

1. glockman55

glockman55 Member

I just picked up an older AK, been in my Dads safe for a while, never been shot, still covered in cosmoline.. I cleaned it up, looks good. I has a welded folding stock. from back when they were illegal to have a folding stock.. I know stocks are'nt the $$ but I might try and cut the weld off to get it to fold again.. anyone did this before? and are the drum mags still available for these? .223 cal

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You sure about the caliber?

3. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Yea I'd bet it's 5.45x39 and not .223. Post a picture of the gun and the magazine and someone should be able to tell. If it is 5.45 then ammo is waaaaaay cheap just a bit hard to find

4. glockman55

glockman55 Member

:eek: yup... 7.62X39 MM...sorry my first AK..went out and shot it today, felt kinda stupid on the cal. lol

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

No biggie. Brain farts happen.

6. glockman55

glockman55 Member

The one pic is where they welded the stock..
    AK 001 (Small).jpg

AK 003 (Small).jpg

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Wow they weren't messing around with that weld. Hope you have an airpowered die grinder and a bunch of tips and wheels for it. Cleaning that up is gonna suck. You sure the collapsable stock is legal in your area?

9. fupuk

fupuk New Member

They defenitly didnt want that to come off. Im sure with some time and patience you will be able to get it to come off and still look good.

10. glockman55

glockman55 Member

I might just leave it alone and buy an after market stock, not sure what a folding stock will do for me anyway.. I've seen some folding stocks online for $35. not a big deal at this time. I have to replace the front post sight, I noticed it was loose, turns out it was broken. Didn't care much for the black pin anyway. I ordered a few different colors and an adjustment tool as well. Thanks for the replies.

11. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

I think you have an AK that is a bit different then those you can purchase today. No muzzle brake. It may be pre ban. I would suggest grinding that weld off to keep it original.

12. markb

markb New Member

Any info (importer or maker stamping or numbers) on the side of the receiver or the front trunnion? It might be easier to drill out the rivets on the rear trunnion and install a new one for either a fixed or folding stock. Keep the old one for parts.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

14. markb

markb New Member

DO NOT grind anything off. It is a muzzle nut not a brake. Don't do anything until you know what you have.

15. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Two screws and the stock is off.. I'm thinking more on these lines..
    AK stock.jpg

16. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

@markb I am suggesting he grind the weld in the folding stock to restore the folding function. Look at the pictures he posted.

I am NOT suggesting he grind off a nonexistent weld from off of a nonexistent brake.

17. markb

markb New Member

Thank you for clearing that up.

18. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Follow up. I tied to grind the weld off, but the stock just wouldn't function like it should so I went to wood,, AK 47....jpg

19. towboater

towboater Active Member

I like it. Looks great.