Old trucks

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jstrong, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Gotta love em, starter just went out on my 83' 150 outside the nearby Chinese take out place. With the help of my pops (downsouth) to get me up the road to autozone, all that stood between a broke down vehicle and getting about my weekend was two bolts,a terminal connection clamp,50 bucks for a new starter and about an hour under it all. I'm sure driving a new 2012 pickup is nice and all,but it's pretty nice to be able to pop the hood,and literally climb in there find a comfortable seat and get to wrenching whenever something goes wrong. I've had the truck for a few years now, (since highschool) and even though it's a bit older than I am,it's treated me a whole lot better than I've treated it.

2. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I had an 88' F150 and aside from the giant hole in the tank connected to the 351 V-8 i loved it. My grandpa used to ask me, "You still dragging that fuel trailer around with you?" It got about 10 mpg on a good day. What i liked about having an old truck was you never had to worry about dings or scratches. I hit a deer at 70 mph once and just kept driving, after work i went to the local junkyard and got another grill for 20 bucks.

A guy broke down in town one day in the middle of an intersection in front of me. He was also in an old truck, a chevy. He asked if a could pull him out of the road but neither of us had a chain so i just pushed him, bumper to bumper. The town marshall saw it and thought it was funny.

3. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

How'd it sound when you bolted the starter in and cranked it over? I can put a rebuilt one in my 1986 Bronco and it will grind unless I put a shim in front of it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  4. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

It sounds different that the last one did for sure,but it starts up strong as ever. Ill have to keep an ear open the next few times I start it up and see if that may be the case with mine as well

5. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Mines just as bad on gas,probably worse. Yours would have been fuel injected by 88,mines carbed. But yea I definantly feel like I'm getting robbed at gunpoint at the pumps

6. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Just kept driving? I would have stop and picked up dinner,,, that's what you call fast food.......

7. LaineC

LaineC New Member

I love my 95 Bronco the best Ford ever made!

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I went from a beat up old International, missing windows, to a nice new Cadillac, back to a beat up old International..... :D

9. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Back in the day IHC had something going on, the damn trucks would last forever and I found my uncle a 1 owner 1979 Scout II with 121k on it last summer for $600, replaced the whole fuel system and the thing runs like a top.

10. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

I have got a 1966 Chevy that I dragged out of a field 17 yrs ago, the bed was junk and had a small pine sappling growing through the bed. I got it home and started tearing it apart. Anyway I pretty much rebuilt the whole truck I work as a machinist in a Automotive machine shop so the original 283 still looks stock but puts out about 325hp and will light up the back tires. The young fellows that come in there all want to buy it but I just smile and say no thanks. I dont drive it much any more except mostly on the weekends. No A/C, No Power Brakes, No Power Steering just V8 and hold on...:D

11. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I would have but i didnt have any way of keeping the meat from going bad. It was july and i was heading to work, it wouldve been in my truckbed under a fiberglass topper all day.

12. The5Last5Rebel

The5Last5Rebel New Member

I have a 72 stepside Chevy C10. It's got 350 with the 4 speed granny gears. It's in the shop right now gettin all prettied up.
    Light blue.

13. Kodeman

Kodeman Member

I finally sold my 83 F-250 several yrs ago and am still kickin my self for that decision. Best truck I ever owned. I'm a Ford guy and have had many Ford trucks over the years. The 83 had a 460 cu in engine and 4 speed manual tranny. A real BEAST. If I ever come across another one I just may pick it up. Presently I own a 06 F-150 stepside. Nice truck also.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought this post was about old trucks. Around here anything under 50 years old is considered new. Kidding aside, we have a lot of old hobbyists here. Lots of customs and classics otherwise known as rods and relics. Trucks and cars. One neighbor has a 52 Chev PU. The desert is kind to metal.

15. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

My next project truck it sits in the drive way now my neighbors don't like it to much but oh well hopefully this summer I can have to sheet metal work done and it back running.
    image-325041701.jpg
    1948 Chevy straight 6, 3 on the tree.

play the victim, be the victim

16. fmj

fmj Active Member

I echo the "Stupidest move i ever made" sentiment.

Had an 84 F-150 with the 302. I put over 300K on that thing, she only ever failed me once and that was when the engine finally blew. I beat the hell outta that vehicle.

Traded it off for $1000 on a 2000 f-150 thinking i would get better mileage and a better truck...MAN was i WRONG!! The mileage on this newer one is the same or worse and its many issues and expense to fix them and rust may just force me to buy a GM or even a Yota for my next truck.

Ford really screwed themselves with me this time around!!!

and you KNOW they will do NOTHING to make it right.

17. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

Yep gotta love the old trucks. My daily driver back in states is an 85 dodge w350 that gets 9 mpg.

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

My IH's arnt that old, but I find myself having to explain what they are... When I was driving my 73 stepside everybody thought it was a old Ford, and my Scout is a "funny looking" Jeep... Even when I go to the part stores I get "Who made that, Is it a Ford or Chevy International?..."
    GRRR.... I told you its a International Harvester!!... :confused::mad:

I have a 1940 Ford, but its a Coupe...

19. mcb

mcb New Member

Love the old Fords. My first truck was a 72 f100 in the 80s. It was rusting away in a neighbors yard, her husband died and she parked it. With a little body work a carb rebuild she was good as new. 302 " three on the tree" had it a few years and someone ran a stop sign and totaled it.
    I took the insurance money and bought a 76 f250 " highboy" 351 four on the floor great truck. I had it several years I still regret selling it. I bought my current Silverado new in 2002 and it'll never have the same feeling as my old fords.