Firearms Talk banner

old Smith & Wesson - needs repair

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Northman 
I have worked on similar guns and danf_fl is right. Cylinder stop should be sticking out of the frame and should drop down when the gun is cocked, cylinder should rotate and the stop comes back up. You can probably watch this happen in the gap between the cylinder and the frame.

The last top break I worked on had some stuff caked it by the cylinder stop which prevented anything from working right. We can try to diagnose a problem from description only but AR some point it will have to come apart. Sounds to me like a cylinder stop spring after a good look at the diagram. You could try cocking the hammer and while cocked hold the trigger forward, hammer should stay back.

I'm not a professional gunsmith, I love figuring out problems and I buy broken guns and fix them. If you aren't comfortable taking it apart take it to a professional, it is easy to make these old guns into junk if you aren't careful. Stay safe and never assume a gun is unloaded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.