Old Shotgun, Shotgun Pistol Help

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Sooie, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Sooie

Sooie New Member

j stevens arms and tool company is the name on this shotgun. old single shot.

[​IMG]

the pistol says; Mass.Arms.Co. Chicopee Falls.Mass. choke bored

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its in old condition, and cant make out everything on it. has some engraving along the left side above trigger, too worn to see what it says.

so im just lookin for information on these guns. both came from my granparents, who got them from their parents. and now i found/have them. i dont plan to ever get rid of them, but i do wanna know as much about them as possible. should i try and clean them up? or let them be?

thanks.

2. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Massachusetts Arms Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WikiAnswers - What is the age of a 12 gauge Massachusetts Arms Co Chicopee Falls Mass single shot shotgun

A couple of sites for info on the MAC shotguns. That 'pistol' did NOT start out that way - obvious home job - probably illegal by today's laws. Maybe make some discreet 'anonymous' calls to the police and BATFE to get their take on it.

So, 'collector value' is nil on the 'pistol', and not much for the old shotgun - it's a basic model Stevens. I'd oil it and clean it, but do not remove the patina. If someone were interested in it for it's age, that patina holds much of it's value.

3. Hawg

Hawg New Member

That pistol is about as illegal as you can get. I'd take the barrel off and throw it as far away as I could and not let anybody see me do it.

4. IDVague

IDVague New Member

I hope that was a joke.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Why would you pesume that to be a joke? To advocate someone dismantle and destroy a prohibited firearm to avoid 5 years in the Federal pokey does not really sound like a joke to me.

Don't tell me it was made that way. A single shot 12 ga pistol would not be stamped "Choke Bored". That, is an example of a sawed off shotgun.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That is like Robo (da thread killa) says...illegal and I will offer this: Illegal As Hell!! If you look at the stock, you can tell it was also cut down and hand carved rather poorly at that. If you want, fill the barrel with concrete and hang it on the wall. In other words, make sure it is not in any way a working firearm.

7. Sooie

Sooie New Member

Thanks guys.

Great info, however I will not be destroying any guns and throwing parts out. Worst case scenario, we bury guns around here.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  8. IDVague

IDVague New Member

Sooie, I hope you don't take such drastic measures. If you don't intend to fire the weapon (and I'm confident that you don't) there are plenty of ways to make the gun non-firing and no more illegal than a movie prop from an old Cagney gangster flick.

9. Sooie

Sooie New Member

guys. :D

please dont worry. lol

both guns are non working. especially the pistol. the barrel wont open, and the trigger is stuck. its totally non workable. its nothing more than a super cool paper weight. i dont even want it to work. i like it the way it is. a sentimentel antique. thanks for yalls info and concerns ;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

So, why did you ask if you should clean them up or let them be? Is it because you did not know one of them is illegal to own nowdays?

11. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

my dad had cut down a 410 when i was a kid he pack it on his saddle and shot grouse with it when he past a way i took the barrel off it and through it in the river i just didnt see the use of it

12. Hawg

Hawg New Member

If you're serious about keeping it at least remove firing pin and have barrel welded shut.

13. Sooie

Sooie New Member

Well I just asked to see what Would be best. I'm not gonna use them for
    anymore than decorative pieces and keepsakes. Just really wanted to know how to preserve them best.

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Well put, Hawg.

I wanna say kudos to Sooie for posting this on a public forum and heck, if you bury guns around your parts then you are in the clear.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Gents- the proper term is "Short Barreled Shotgun". These are in the same legal class as a machinegun (National Firearms Act, Class III). Legal to own IF it has been registered with the BATFE. As in ALREADY registered- and the $200 transfer tax paid. Possess one without the paperwork, and the possible penalty is 10 yrs in Federal prison, and a fine of up to $250,000.

ALSO- there are specific measures required to change a firearm to a non-firearm. Filling barrel w/ concrete, removing firing pin/hammer, being rusty, etc is NOT ON THE LIST. Using a cutting torch to cut the receiver into 3 or more pieces IS. However, before you decide to bury, cut up, or have bronzed, consider this- Federal law requires that if you come into possession of a firearm like this that is not registered, it be surrendered to the BATFE. You have posted this on a public website. None of us is anonymous here. Your actions CAN result in a conviction that will bar you from possessing ANY firearm- for the rest of your life. That is what a Federal felony does.

Chose wisely.

16. freefall

freefall New Member

Well and succinctly put C3.

17. Cpt-Hotpants

Cpt-Hotpants New Member

Get rid of it. Turn it into the authorities or something. Call the BATF and tell them whats up.

It's not worthing risking potential prison time and fines for owning a sawn off shotgun regardless if its a family hierloom. Sure it sucks but I would get myself as far away from that thing as possible.

Sure it sucks but at least you have the long gun right. You will also still have your right to own firearms as well.

18. Sooie

Sooie New Member

Thanks for the info and support guys, i respect all yalls opinions.

however, things arent as extreme as some would make them out to be. yes, its illegal. yes its an heirloom. heres a nice link/story of a similiar situation, yet he decided to take it to a gun dealer for appraisal.

Huntsville man finds out his antique shotgun/pistol illegal under 1934 law | al.com

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Interesting heirlooms! I wish you the best of luck in figuring out how best to preserve them.

20. Sooie

Sooie New Member

thanks.

apparently, the best way is to not post them on public forums, and to keep them out of sight! LOL

in all seriousness, the long shotgun might work, but the pistol does not work. the barrel is rusted shut, and the trigger is broke, the hammer doesnt stay back, and the firing pin is rusted stuck as well.

**because if the gun opened, then id have pics of the open barrel ;)

and another note; you can goto google/youtube and type sawed off shotgun and come with a plethora of images of ppl holding them, and shooting them. i would think the authorites would be more concerned with that foolery than my old rusted no good relic. just sayin :)