Old S&W 22 cal.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by railroader112, May 26, 2011.

1. railroader112

railroader112 New Member

I just registered with Firearms Talk hoping to gain in my knowledge and interact with other conversations about firearms.
    I came home from a gun shop yesterday, having an old Smith&Wesson 22 cal. pistol appraised. The pistol has a serial number of 384563 with a 6" barrel, hand extactor, in my research I believe it is called a kit gun. The man at the gun shop appraised it at 60% which showed a value of $1150, then he pointed out an extra comment saying that this pistol could be worth 200% of listed value. He did not say what serial number was needed to meet this criteria. Does anyone know why such a great jump in price is placed upon this pistol. Thanks.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Railroader. the S&W Model 34 "Kit gun" (name meant small enough to be packed in your kit when hiking) was also known as a 22/32, since it was .22 caliber on a .32 frame. They were made in 2 inch and 4 inch. However, there was an earlier version made before S&W was hanging model numbers on guns, and was known as a Bekheart model.

Phil Bekheart was a San Fran dealer that convinced S&W to make one hell of a target revolver- a .22, based on the .32 frame. They had 6 inch bbls. The first run that he ordered are "True Bekhearts"- serial number 138226 to 139275. Later guns are more common, are simply known as "Bekhearts" and sell for less money. These are NOT kit guns, but are 22-32 Hand Ejectors. Made from about 1911-1952.

I would urge you to get a TRUE appraisal by a knowledgable S&W expert. Which ain't me. I make great chili, am a hell of a hand with high explosives, and a fair wing shot- but not a qualified appraiser.

and congratulations!

3. freefall

freefall New Member

C3, do you really look like Strother Martin? Not to highjack the thread, I've just always wondered.;)

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Why, no- I am MUCH better looking! :p

Thought you knew- on-line everyone is 6'2", slender, has 6 pack abs, and dark curly hair.

In real life I am that sweet little old man down the street that looks like a cross between Santa and a garden gnome. Lulls them into a false sense of security, until they find the character played by Jack Nicholson (H-E-R-E-S JOHNIE!) was inspired by me when I got pissed off by a telemarketer. :eek: