Old, rusty Sig P226

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by kmglocks, Sep 9, 2012.

1. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Recently, a pal mine was toting this ancient looking P226 at the range. It has light surface rust on the slide and hammer. In addition, it's magazines are coated with light rust, what a poorly maintained firearm:-/. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone out there had suggestions for removing light surface rust off of this gun without ruining the finish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I took it from him and told him I would take care of his poorly maintained firearm. Thanks in advance.

2. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

I seen some blue and rust removed at cables try that. Or I used hopper solvent on my Mossberg I bought used, cleaned it right up.

3. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Was thinking about that and using a light abrasive like a scotch brite pad.

4. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

I used a regular cloth pad was scared to scratch the finish.

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If just surface rust, WD-40 & some elbow grease with a cloth may get it. I wouldn't use any abrasive products, as that will surely affect the finish. WD-40 is not a lubricant though, so it should be cleaned off & then do the same thing using a good CLP. There are products which kill rust, but they would probably discolor it. Wouldn't hurt to let the parts soak in CLP for a while.

6. superc

superc Active Member

WD40, a rough cloth or towel and elbow grease.

7. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Thanks guys, it worked well, got all the rust off.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire Active Member Supporter

You got the rust off but have you stopped it? Try Fluid Film and a rough cloth. It's lanolin based and kills rust. It also works very well as a metal preservative.

9. DGM87

DGM87 New Member

The OP brought a tear to my eye. Yeah, I've had powder rust pop up on one of my stored spares for my old Cougar, but that came right off with a little bit of RemOil and a cloth. I'd soak the operating parts in CLP, just in case. I've also seen cases like this where the firearm was gently warmed (not with fire) in an oven to a couple hundred degrees (not enough to play with the characteristics of the metal) or run though several hundred rounds, then then then operating parts soaked in oil and wiped down well. The idea is that the metal will expand ever so slightly, then the oil will work itself into all the tiny fissures in the metal, similar to curing a cast-iron skillet.