Firearms Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law gave me a 30-06 rifle before he passed and I am trying to find out about it. I can see the word Smith under the scope and a 7 digit serial number . Can anyone lead me to finding out about this rifle.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Does it have a lever on the left hand side of the receiver that allows the bolt to strip a round off the magazine in one position?
If so it is probably a Smith Corona M1903A3.

For your information:

U.S.

SMITH-CORONA

MODEL 1903A3

(serial number)

These Smith-Corona rifles were also fitted with barrels made by the High Standard company and had four grooves.

The L.C. Smith-Corona Typewriters company made 1903A3's between October 1942 through February 1944. They made approximately 234,500 with the rifle serial numbers falling between the following blocks: 3,608,000 through 3,707,999 and 4,708,000 through 4,992,000. Smith-Corona Rifle production was stopped around 4,845,831. Because the Smith-Corona numbers were fewer, the current values of these rifles tends to be a little higher than the Remington's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you , I believe your info is correct , I thought it might be a smith &wesson, because i have never heard of smith -corona. The serial number is in the 483 series , but the sight on the end of the rifle pictured does not look like it. :)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
thank you , I believe your info is correct , I thought it might be a smith &wesson, because i have never heard of smith -corona. The serial number is in the 483 series , but the sight on the end of the rifle pictured does not look like it. :)
Smith & Corona is a typewriter company. They had the tooling necessary to make weapons and because of it, were recruited into the war effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts