Old Propane Bottle and Bullet Holes

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Viking, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Viking

Viking Active Member

First of all this bottle sat around through two winters with the valve off so there was no propane residue. Shots fired were from 60 feet, the holes are from my 7 1/2" 44 mag Redhawk using hand loads that have 245 gr. Keith style hard cast lead bullets, CCI 350 primers and 19.5 gr. of Accuracy Arms #9 powder (very fast for lead but does not strip going through the barrel). As you can see I marked the 9mm and 40 S&W bullet dents, the 40 S&W dents were far deeper than the 9mm. I don't remember how many grains the 9mm was but the 40 cal was 180 gr. TC FMJ. If the Redhawk wasn't such a monster to hide on my skinny frame I'd haul it around for my ccw because in the about 30 years that I've owned it it's been a point and shoot for me, a couple of times I've taken deer that I'm sure I really didn't aim at with the sites.

Attached Files:

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Shoot a full one next time!! :D

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That's what I was thinking!! Think it would wake the neighbors?

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Actually, Mythbusters did a whole show on this. They tried to set off a full bottle with a range of guns without much luck. IIRC, it took a .308 tracer round to actually cause one to blow up.

They were debunking the James Bond film where he sets one off with his P99 9mm - didn't even penetrate the tank...

5. 995

995 New Member

Hell that might wake the dead. (LOL)

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Now that you mention it, I think I might have seen that one. I liked the chicken cannon and when they shot bullets into water.

7. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

Many years ago, we would shoot the small propane cylinders for torches with our SKS's. We would start a small fire behind the cylinder first. Even with an empty one, the fire ball was quite large, but there was no metal shrapnel.

8. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

A friend told me he shot a empty large propane cylinder with a candle burning next to it. It was a hell of a fire ball but not much booom. He also shot 1 gallon milk jugs with gas in them with the fire next to them he said then was very cool. they were back a min of 60 yard in a open plowed field with no wind and no neighbors with in a few miles. I told him I want to go next time.

9. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

those guys have the best job in the world.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No 45 ACP??

You should find someone with a 460 Rowland and compare with the 44 mag!

Bring it down here to Ft. Lauderdale and let me take a couple shots!

11. Viking

Viking Active Member

We have the ultimate propane bottles that pass by about 100 yards away, railroad tankers. Don't think I haven't thought about if one of those derailed or leaked a long path of propane? I've seen pictures of a natural gas line that leaked and exploded east of Denver many years ago, it blew a huge deep ditch. I have heard that propane has been used for fuel/air bombs and that they are extremely powerful so when I fiddle around with things that can explode I really consider any unintended consequiences of my actions, not that some might be interesting to see.:D

12. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

I used to have some Belgian NATO SMG 9mm +P (maybe even +p+), I think they were AP rounds. When fired at propane tanks from inside 25 yards, they would easily penetrate. Inside 10 yards, you could see the dents on the back side, where the rounds almost came through. Should have kept some of those, but it was too much fun seeing what they could do at the time :p One thing though, they would definitely test your guns frame. I had no issues firing them through my CZ75, but a few other 9mm's had some problems, some of the catastrophic variety - frames cracked :eek:

Slo

13. SDiver40

SDiver40 New Member

Fill a basket ball with acetylene and oxygen from a cutting torch and shoot it with a tracer. Just don’t get too close to it when you do!

14. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

Exploding Targets

Ya'll want to blow something up ?? Do a search on Exploding Targets... Not too expensive and can be bought and shipped to your door. you'll find them on Gunbroker or Auctionarms most times. I saw a show that highlighted them one time: Deconstruction Nation (or some mess like that). Got to use high power rifle to set them off but they are diffinatelly impressive ..

15. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

see: TANNERITE - and the best part is...it's legal ;)

16. RCHanlin

RCHanlin New Member

LOL YOU BET!! Whoever thought up that stuff deserves a medal. My only problem would be finding a place that I can shoot it at. Depending which ones you get, it makes a pretty big bang.. Course, even the small ones make a lot of noise.

Fun Stuff :D

17. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Is your rowland finally done??? Mine is:D

18. deucemanbb

deucemanbb New Member

That's very interesting. I have a 9mm, a 40 cal, and a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 with a 7 1/2 ". I'm with you, if the 44 wasn't so big, it'd be great to carry, so I just carry the 1911.

19. Viking

Viking Active Member

Back in the late 1970's I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 with a 7 1/2" barrel which I carried in a Bianchi X-15, that was the most comfortable shoulder holster I've owned and with a medium weight jacket on it was pretty well hidden. A Redhawk is a bit more chunky than a Super Blackhawk making it hard to conceil even with a heavier jacket, my problem is that I'm just too skinny to carry big firearms ccw.