old people

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by wmille01, Jun 22, 2011.

1. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

my mom 48 wants me to train her in how to "*tactically" clear her house, she wanted to use my dads 22 bolt action I think I talked her into using the 9mm. Any suggestions?

*her words not mine

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

What do you mean "old people" and then saying your mom is 48??????????

3. rodent.22

rodent.22 New Member

I got sox older than that......

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Not a shotgun??

5. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Leave the house, call 911, wait at a safe distance and location :)

6. Jay

Jay New Member

get her into a class....

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Best answer.

8. Jay

Jay New Member

...and if you end up confronting the intruder on your way out ? How many are there? Are they armed? Where are they?

Not me.....

Safe room... family, gun, and cell phone inside that room. call 911. An attack from one direction is much easier to defend than having to be aware of 360 degrees, while trying to get outside.... especially for an elderly person, who may not be as "fleet of foot" as some younger folks.

Just my two cents.... to each his/her own.

9. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

the title was meant as a joke, my mom hates loud noises and recoil so that where the 22 came in. My mom is really cheap she washes spastic wear, she also won't buy anything new I mean anything if she need a car door she's go to the junk yard it might be rusted have a several bullet holes in it and blood stain all over but she'll buy it, she's pretty much crazy. Even if I set up her closet as a safe room she still probably wouldn't use it.

so ya...

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

48 ain't old! :eek:

I suggest you get her interested in a man. A man that likes guns, already has some experience and training with firearms...and thrifty women. ;)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Anyone who speaks so disrespectfully of their mother is probably incapable of understanding that her being "cheap" probably had a lot to do with keeping YOU in clothes, shelter, and food. You have a whole lot to learn.

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You don't mention her proficiency level with firearms. I assume she's essentially unskilled. Give her a class in firearm safety as a gift. Take her shooting and have her shoot a variety of guns starting with a .22 and moving up in caliber.

Assuming she's relatively unskilled, my suggestion is a short barreled 20ga. shotgun, something like a Mossberg Persuader. A 20ga. is somewhat loud, but reasonably forgiving and recoil is easy.

Remind her that the potential trade-off is her life or a few seconds of noise.

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Wow, I wish I could be that "old" again! My beautiful "young" trophy wife is 48 now, wait 'til I tell her she's considered one of the "old people". :eek:

14. JSDinTexas

JSDinTexas New Member

Recipe for Disaster

"Clearing a house" "22 bolt action" "hates loud noises and recoil" "she's pretty much crazy"

This is a recipe for disaster - this woman's best friend would be a cell phone and fast legs.
    I am tactically proficient, sleep with a Mossberg 590 9 rd in bed, a Glock 21 by the bed and a Glock 23 under the pillow - hey, call me paranoid but I wouldn't suggest you coming in my house unannounced :D
    Even with all this I would NEVER clear the house. I take two courses of action:
    1. kill everything in sight to clear an exit path, and then
    2. get the hell out of the house and let the cops have their fun when they get there.

15. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

Yea - thats what my mom said - she is also crazy/cheap etc.. However, she has a large amount of cash and investments, is still crazy/cheap and I haven't lived at home in 20 years :)

16. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

I'd guess you are in your 20's, hence the wise mouth.
    And I'd say she choose the wrong person to ask, based on what you've written here.
    She needs a few classes, and some training, and of course range time. Then practice in her home. She doesn't need much, because she is interested in her own home, not unfamiliar buildings. She knows her home, an intruder most likely will not.
    Suggest she get interested in some basic training. Pay her way into a beginners firearms safety class, encourage her.
    The Mom you save may be your own. :cool:

BTW, she is not "cheap". She is frugal. She tries to spend her money as wisely as she can.
    Other folks I have known who were actually well off were as well, very frugal. Nothing wrong with that, they probably worked very hard to get where they are.
    I bet your Mom worked her butt off, too. And what she gets is disrespect for it.

A well placed shot with a .22 will most certainly incapacitate or kill an intruder. But untrained people get killed with their own weapons every day.
    Take a class with her, encourage her.
    Don't be disrespectful of her. She's done the best she could.

17. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

And By The Way, She is too young to get the 7 buck Friday Pass at my favorite range. You have to be 55 and up.
    Takes the bite out of havin a ton of fun! :p

It'll cost her the normal $12.50. And you too, ya Whippersnapper.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  18. moonpie

moonpie New Member

i'll add this to what's already been said BUY YOUR MAMA a shotgun and a cell phone

19. orangello

orangello New Member

+ a barky dog, very barky, to scare away the burglars. (and so you can hear her coming)

20. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Shame on you.
    Is your mom single? I like young women!
    I'm just down the road in Tenn. :D