old or new?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Rick1967, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have had a muzzle loader in the back of my safe for a long time...at least 12 years. I just took it out and shot it today. It is a Thomson/Center .50 Cal. It looks like a Hawkins. But it doesn't say it anywhere.

It simply says "Thompson/Center Arms" and right under that is says Rochester, New Hampshire. Then it says CAL50 off to the right. There is a six digit serial number on the other side of the barrel. There are no other markings of any kind. Again, It does not say Hawkins on it. I was also surprized to find that it does not say Black powder only on it anywhere. I thought it had to be modern because is has a serial number. But I have never seen a new bp gun that did not say black powder only.

Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

Thanks
    Rick

Attached Files:

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

The wood is plain, the furnature is crap, the hex barrel looks to antiquated!! Send it to me, I'll dispose of it for you! :D

Too nice to be a safe queen!! You shouold taker her out more often!

3. Rick1967

I am ashamed that it took me 12 years to get to the range with it. But I do have a crap load of guns to rotate out to the range. Nice problem to have.

4. Hawg

Hawg New Member

It's modern, probably put together from a kit. If the serial number has a K prefix it was a kit.

5. Rick1967

The serial number is all numbers. Six in all.

6. Rick1967

It had been in a fire many years before it was given to me. The previous owner was my mom's third husband who left it to me when he died. He had bought it at an estate sale I believe. It was in the fire before he got it. So I know about 16-20 years of history on it. But nothing before that. I sanded the stock and cleaned it up. Brasso does a wonderful job on the hardware. It is hard to tell in the photo. But the brass is really nice.

7. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Then it wasn't a kit. Still a modern piece. BTW it in no way resembles an original Hawken.

8. Rick1967

Thompson /Center makes a Hawken now that looks exactly like my gun. I was looking at them at Cabelas yesterday. It had the same markings as mine, but said Hawken after Thompson/Center. It also said black power only on it.

9. Hawg

Hawg New Member

TC has been making that rifle since 1970. I don't know when Black Powder Only was required. The barrel has been browned where it was originally blued. It could have been removed at that time.

10. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Wonder what the rate of twist is on that one? I know the newer ones are 1 in 48 which is a shame, a little fast for a round ball and a little slow for a slug. Just wondering what Thompson used in their older guns. My first was a CVA in the seventies and it has a 1-66 and I heard they latter changed to 1-48 also.

11. Hawg

Hawg New Member

TC did make some 1:60's but the vast majority was 1:48. The CVA Mountain Rifle was 1:66 but I think all the rest were 1:48 A 1:48 is a happy medium that shoots round balls and conicals fairly well but isn't the best for either one.

12. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Would love to find a used round ball gun in good shape. Was just hoping that all the early repos were. A .50 Kentucky or Hawken would be nice but I won't spend $500 plus on a smoke pole.

13. Hawg

Hawg New Member

You can probably find a Lyman Great Plains for 350 or so but I'd prefer a .54 or .58 The Great Plains is a lot closer to a real Hawken than the TC's, CVA'a and Investarms

14. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

.54 would be ok. I cast my own balls (sounds kinda funny saying it out loud) so .54 would be alright. The biggest game I go after is Northern Whitetails, they get pretty big but nothing a .50 or .54 round ball couldn't handle at 100 yards. This is the first 1 in 48 I have owned and even tho it's pretty I am not happy with the way it shoots. Over the last 10 years I have put about every conceivable combination of powder and projectile threw it and have never been able to get better then a 8 inch group at 100 yard off a bench. Good enough for hunting around here, but should be way better. I'm not always hunting when I shoot it.

15. Rick1967

I have taken it out to the range twice since the first post. It shoots real nice. I only put 3 rounds through it each time. I have not put a full charge through it yet. I have been going easy on it to make sure all is well. So far so good. Truth be told, the first round went off with a string tied to the trigger and a heavy box sitting on top of the gun. I am always careful the first time I shoot a questionable gun.

16. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I had a 1:48 .50 and I had good groups with Maxi balls and 90 grains of Pyrodex. My .58 three band Enfield is 1:48 and it shoots minies and 70 grains of Pyrodex to minute of five gallon bucket at 300 yards.