Old hand me down.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by kmglocks, Jul 9, 2012.

1. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Anyone ever hear of this old shotgun I was just given by my father. It's a double barrel, side by side 12ga, 2 3/4" Sears and Roebuck Eastern Arms shotgun with a PLASTIC stock. I don't imagine it's worth anything but curious if you know something about it, thanks.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Not sure if this is any help.

Attached Files:

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Probably manufactured by either J. Stevens Arms, Iver Johnson, Meriden Firearms, or Harrington & Richardson (H&R). The stock is Tenite, not plastic, I have seen em go for around 300 bucks, how good of shape is it in ? Lets see some pictures...........If it was a hand-me-down just hang on to it & pass it on down. Is it shootable ?

4. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Picture?

Yes, wife #1 had one in 20 ga. They were a late 1950's idea.

5. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

image-3864579236.jpg

Here's the photos guys. Last night i gave it a remoil bath and cleaned her.

Attached Files:

6. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

image-4141757441.jpg

Forgot this pic.

7. W. C. Quantrill

Its family. Use it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with this gun, it just needs someone to carry it afield.

8. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

It's definitely shootable.

9. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Any tips to bring it's barrel finish back to life?

10. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

I have never seen a double barrel with a plastic stock. I had a Sears single shot 410 with a plastic stock about 150 years ago when I was a small grasshopper. Crescent made a lot of the old shotguns. The side plate on yours is like my Knickerboker. I don't shot anything but #8 shot in mine.
    Hang on to it because there's not many around. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  11. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Haha I will, my father warned me if Ever sold it that my grandmother would haunt me!

12. W. C. Quantrill

In 1965, I bought an Ithaca 37, new, for $69. So, with regards to the sears double, it probably sold for something like $49 new. The finish is not bad for an old gun, I have some much worse. Oil it and use it. I would not do anything else to it. Messing with it would be like doing a face lift and boob job on a 70 year old granny.

13. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Well said haha, I plan on using it come fall small game season. Only one prob, it's hard to break open the action all the way, it's kinda stiff.

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Looks great, use it, it will get easier to open & shut the more it is used................

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That is just plain cool. I wouldn't change a thing. Just shoot it and take care of it.

16. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have a 1955 J.C. Higgins SXS .410 that my father gave to me in Oct. of '55 with the tenite stock. Still shoots as good as new. Mine was made by Savage/Stevens and their gun was a model 311 but with a hardwood stock.

17. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Gonna put this gun through the wringer!