Old hammer gun

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Billy9mm, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

My boss brought an old side by side for me to research for him, one that his dad came across years ago. It is in pretty rough shape, one hammer is broke off and a little rusty but all in all a pretty interesting piece. It is a 12 Bore Samuel Ebrall of Shrewsburg. Pin fire side by side hammer shotgun with a Jones rotary under lever, non-rebounding back actions locks, border and scroll engraved and with makers name, 30" Damascus barrels, early type with no extractors, Circa 1837, Walnut stock. Will have some pics tomorrow, got the camera out and the battery was dead so its on charge right now. He is talking like he might want to sell it, but I will have to find out for sure.

2. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

Finally got around to getting some pictures of this old gun, since the weather has changed for the good we have been wide open working all kind of hours, but anyway here are a few pics.

Attached Files:

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Name Samuel Ebrall
    Other Names Ebrall Brothers
    Address 1 4 Wyle Cop
    Address 2 6 High Street
    Address 3 Smithfield Road
    City/Town Shrewsbury
    County Shropshire
    Country United Kingdom
    Trade Gunmaker
    Dates 1843-1891
    Notes
    In 1843 Samuel Ebrall purchased the business of William Horton of 4 Wyle Cop, Shrewsbury.
    In 1845 he moved to 6 High Street, and in 1853 to Smithfield Road.
    He was an exhibitor at the Great Exhibition in 1851, and he won a first class prize medal at the 1862 exhibition and was appointed gunmaker to Queen Victoria.
    In about 1888 Samuel retired or died and the firm was taken over by his sons, the name became Ebrall Brothers.
    The firm traded until at least 1891
    Samuel was the father of Richard Holland Ebrall of Hereford.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That is a good looking old pinfire, looks like ya need ta find a hammer !..............

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Neat gun. Thanks for sharing.

6. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I would love to have that Ole Lady on my work bench!! I would fix her up right!! :D

7. phildenton

phildenton New Member

beautiful, than you for sharing that with us.