Old guns I inherited want to know more

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Jeremy7486, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Jeremy7486

Jeremy7486 New Member

I inherited this gun along with some others I would like to know more about them were they were used how much they are worth ect.

Attached Files:

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Martini Henry is about all I can tell with my eyes still jacked up.

3. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

Appears to be an Afghan "Khyber Pass" Martini Henry. There were a bunch of these brought into the country back in the '60s and then another batch a few years ago.

If yours has import stamps then it will be one of the more recent examples.

They fetch about $200-400 depending upon condition, completeness and if there is something particularly unique.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Might be from the big pile they found in Nepal a few years ago. The markings look pretty close. Does it
    have any importer marks on it?

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Start HERE- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martini-Henry

And we need some large close up photos of any markings. Value of ANY gun is based on exact make, model, condition. If you want to see a SIMILAR rifle in use, probably the best known movie depiction of a Martini-Henry in use is this-

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-lDY02DThk[/ame]

The Martini-Henry used several different rounds over it's VERY long life- including these-

Snider-Martini-Enfield_Cartridges.jpg

6. Jeremy7486

Jeremy7486 New Member

I don't think so all the markings it has on it I think I posted if I remember right I was told it was used in some war that started with a g can't remember the name though

7. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

8. Jeremy7486

Jeremy7486 New Member

Awesome thank you I had someone a while back tell me some of the writing on it was Arabic is that true?

9. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I believe if you could get a good close up of the writing, someone here could identify it - possibly even translate it -

10. AmPaTerry

I am certainly no expert, but it honestly does not look Arabic to me -

11. AmPaTerry

I found some on it -
    The writing is Nepalese.

12. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

If it is indeed from the 50,000+ Martini's found in Nepal and brought to the US around 10 years ago, it
    should have importer markings. Either IMA (International Military Antiques) or ACC (Atlanta Cutlery Corp.)
    Sometimes the marks are small and in an inconspicuous place---but they will be there.

13. 1Caribou

1Caribou New Member

Being pre-1898 antiques, I think these may not have importer marks due to them not being "firearms" in the Feds view. A great many are still being sold as 'untouched', usually coverd in brick dust and oil.

14. Jeremy7486

Jeremy7486 New Member

I had someone else that looked at it that said it's Martini Henry action but the trigger assembly and the thin metal bent thing is reversed as well in comparison to a Martini Henry said it might be Egyptian to I have no idea though

15. Jeremy7486

Jeremy7486 New Member

And I've checked there is no other engraving anywere on the outside of the gun even in the wood

16. microadventure

microadventure Active Member

regarding those markings: google Nepalese numbers

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That is a Gahendra !....................