old gun

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by wmille01, Apr 12, 2011.

1. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

My dad has had this old muzzle loader its a 50 cal, uses caps, he didn't know if it was loaded. It didn't have a round in it just a hell of a lot of powder caked in it. Like someone had it loaded took the ball out and poured water down the breach, a full load was just stuck in the barrel just no bullet. It has some rust damage on.

I have no clue about how to go about this I want to shoot it, but I want to go about doing it safely any ideas. If it was one of those $200 in lines that you can pickup at any place I would just buy a new one but this is old school, wooden stock and what not. I'll try to get some pics on here later.

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

useless without pictures.jpg

Let's see whatcha got

4. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

sorry about the pics someone lost my cord to my phone

5. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

pics

finally found my cord, this a traditions made in spain 50 cal. It has some rust on it but over all the barrel looks ok it also has a odd back sight I've never seen before.

Attached Files:

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It seems that it's new enough that it would be shootable if the barrel's good.

7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The sight is a 3/4 buckhorn. I prefer a full buckhorn where the horns almost meet. It's not an expensive gun but should clean up into a good shooter.