Old gun safe

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by string1946, Jul 9, 2013.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

I've got an old gun safe that I now use as an ammo locker. It has always had a 60W bulb in the upper left but that didn't help much on the lower shelves. I just kept a small Maglite on the upper shelf if I needed to look for something lower in the safe. I saw an write up in some gun magazine about a company that sold flexible light strips for different applications including safes so decide to give them a try. I ended up with 2 48" and 5 20" strips which cost around $80 and that included a 8AA battery power pack, an AC adapter, a push button off/on switch and a door switch. Since I have power in the safe I am using the AC adapter. The first picture is of the safe with the basement lights on (and the camera flash), second is the safe with the 60W light on and third is with the light strips on and the last one is of one of the 48" strips. www.maxmysafe.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Whoa! Nice collection of long guns in the background! :eek:

3. string1946

string1946 New Member

LOL. thats just part of one wall. There are two more walls.:D

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Seems like the lights work pretty well. Cool!

5. string1946

string1946 New Member

Ok Pan, I know how much both of us like pictures so here ya go. See how many you can identify. There will be a test later. :D

Attached Files:

6. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Holly mother of guns!!!!. A gun store in ur basement?!!! Reminds me of that movie tremors. Where tye guy Burt had his basment the same way. Of corse he was reloading when the giant graboid came thru the wall. Lol i hope i can muster half of the guns you have.

7. string1946

string1946 New Member

Ok crap. Now I'm going to have board up the windows by my reloading bench. :D

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I did a similar lighting setup in my shipping container using two 20-foot long ribbon strips of LEDs. Each 20-foot roll was $10, they can be cut to shorter lengths but I just stuck two strips to the ceiling and plugged them into a rechargeable battery that is connected to a small solar recharger. I spent maybe $50 for the whole setup, scrounging what I could. I have been intending on lighting inside the safes the same way but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think the strips I have I can cut them to about a foot long, so one segment on each shelf I can light 20 shelves. All of it runs on 12 volts and uses very little power.

9. string1946

string1946 New Member

They say that depending on how many lights you have a normal setup of 2 48" and 4 20" strips should run about 72 hours on 8 AA batteries if you leave them on or about 6 months using them 15/20 minutes per day.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  10. orangello

orangello New Member

What? No Bersa Thunder .380?

;) Nice lighting.

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

So...many...guns...

[​IMG]

12. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Lol na maybe just half of them. O:)

13. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I give up! I can't count. My head's spinning! :D

14. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

String does post the best pictures. ;)

M6 Scout, AR-7, Calico, street sweeper..... :drool:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  15. string1946

string1946 New Member

Ok, these should be a little easier to identify. :D

Attached Files:

16. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Do you need a parson to come over and shoot and clean all of those? You only have 2 hands brother. I can help you

Attached Files:

17. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There are gun stores near me that don't have this much selection.

18. TekGreg

Viking, I've been considering a container as storage of excess household stuff and motorcycle storage, especially since they are so affordable. Any tips or warnings you could offer?

19. string1946

string1946 New Member

Thanks for the offer brother. So far I'm hanging in there pretty good but if you make it to middle Georgia drop by and we'll go out and shoot some of them.

20. TekGreg

String, that is a great quote on your Sig line. I've never heard it put better.