Old fashioned?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NGIB, Apr 22, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Dropped by my local range the other day as I needed a bit of trigger time. I decided it was "revolver day", so I had my 686+, 4 inch Trooper, and my 617 with me. I had been shooting maybe 10 minutes or so when 3 young fellas came in and took the lane one removed from me. They were shooting rental Glocks - both 19s and 23s.

I could here some of their conversation and they were giving me odd glances quite often. Finally I heard one of them say "wonder why he likes to shoot the old fashioned guns" and he didn't even use the term revolver. These kids were ripping off rounds as fast as they could and their targets looked like shotgun patterns (at 5-7 yards). I think maybe I understand the mindset of some of our youthful shooters a bit better now...

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

There's just something about a good wheel gun that makes them great. Maybe it's a sense of history or something.

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Well, some people will always look for the latest weapons thinking that newer will always mean better. I always heard that my weapons were out of date and had too low a capacity. I'm pretty sure a day will come with these youngins' that they will love to know half of what they thought they knew then. Happens to a lot of us.:eek:

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I was actually just thinking that of all the different guns I've owned - I've never owned or even shot a big bore single action revolver. May have to trade off one of my semi's to get a Vaquero and give them a go...

5. GeauxTigersGuy

GeauxTigersGuy New Member

[​IMG]

I'm speechless on account of how much these kids suck.

6. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Although I don't shoot it very oftern, my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk .41 Magnum with a 7.5 inch barrel always draws looks at the range. I've done nothing more than put a lighter trigger spring on it, and it has the best trigger pull of any pistol I've ever had, and will out-shoot me any day. It also puts out quite a blast when loaded with my silhouette loads of H110, and that ususally creates quite a reaction from the younger crowd...

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

When I go to public ranges I generally shoot wheel guns only because I can retrieve my brass. I like to mess with people at indoor ranges and shoot the .41 Mag full house loads. There is just something about a 170gr bullet going 1600 fps out of a 6" barrel that messes up everyone else, but me.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My favorite revolver for the range was a Blackhawk in .30 carbine. Lots of flash and noise. :D

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would have asked them "what is better? Hit with 6 or miss with 14?"

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Sadly, Dave, I'm getting to the age of actually knowing how you feel. :D

Did you ask them to ahoot your old fashioned guns? I'd certainly like to!!

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Actually, what I found kind of funny is that one of the guns I was shooting was about as state of the art as you can get. It's a stainless 686+, 7 shot .357, 3 inch barrel, and adjustable night sights. I wouldn't trade it for 3 Glocks...

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Dave, I've answered this question for you before.

We (old guys with "...the old fashioned guns") are not young enough to know everything.

Old Guy remedial gun lesson #1 (Get your gangsta on!):

All guns that are not autoloaders = old fashioned guns

All autoloaders = glocks​

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Ok Dude, I wrote it down this time as my short-term memory isn't what it used to be...

14. General_lee

General_lee New Member

If you really want to get your gangsta on then you have to hold the gun sideways when you shoot:rolleyes:

To me, it sounds like you had a close encounter with Glock fanboys.
    I'm a young guy, but I like all guns, new or old... my favorite pistol (1911) is an old-er design..

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

That's Old Guy remedial gun lesson #2; street cred.

16. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I'm a big wheel gun fan.... Can't mess up a wheel gun especially a DA revolver. Pull the trigger till it goes bang, repeat

17. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Like This One

With age may not come a steady hand. But for sure a steady mind

18. detroit2786

detroit2786 New Member

If I came to the range and saw you shooting your revolver sideways, I might think you were the coolest guy in the world.

That would be old time gangsta. TIGHT!!

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Old fashioned? Ouch. I guess black powder qualifies as Ancient?

My partner shoots matches every weekend. IPSC, IDPA and 3 Gun.

He decided to shoot his S&W M67 in an IDPA match last year. He was the only revolver shooter, and when he finished his first run, one of the RSO's asked him "what are those round things?".

The "round things" were his speed loaders.

My partner is 38; not exactly old fashioned.

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Two of the guys that occasionally come to our pin shoots use S&W 625s in .45 ACP using moon clips. A couple of the younger shooters just stared in awe that a)revolvers shoot well and b)can be reloaded very quickly with practice. One of these guys beat me and came in 2nd at the last match...