Old Eyes - one more time...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Uncle Tom, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom New Member

Now that I'm over 39 (well, a lot over), I now need correction for both reading and distance. I'm having some success with this arrangement (not a new idea but seems to work for me):

1. Go to 39dollarglasses.com or equivalent cheap website for eyeglass.

2. Go to eyeglasses/ bifocals (sorry old man!)

3. Pick a large lens (so there will be some if you go a bit chin-down when shooting).

4. Put your reading subscription in for the lower portion of the lens.

5. If you shoot right handed, put your intermediate precription in the upper right lens. (You can experiment to get this -- go to the drugstore rack, stick your thumb out at handgun-hold distance, try on various len magnifications until you get the sharpest image. If you are 3.5X reading, then you'll probably find it at 2.5-3X).

6. Put your distance prescription in the upper left lens.

7. At the range, aim (with your left eye closed if necessary) thru the right upper lens, and the sights will be sharp. Close the right eye to get a clear view of the target if necessary. Look down thru the lower lens to reload, etc.
    The mismatched uppers are not causing me a problem (blurring, headaches, etc.) when doing other activities during my time at the range (but change them for driving home!).

8. Think about getting a clear lens for indoors and tinted for outdoors. You'll still be out less than $100.... Hope this can work for a few of you out there who admit to being over 39...

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some of us "old-timers" get out prescription glasses set up so that the trifocal lense for "arm's length" is in the middle. (and for some reason, it seems to work on computers, also)

3. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Or maybe it is time to consider a sawed off shotgun. Shoot toward the sound.:D

DK

4. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Just don't shoot the piano player.:D

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Don't be absurd, man.

That's why they make full autos.

6. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Google "stick on lenses" and you will get tons of hits. I paid about $12.00 a couple years go. Using a drop of water, I put a lens on the inside, upper portion of my shooting glasses. All I have to do is tilt my head forward to see my front sight clearly. Some are available at your local drug / variety store.

7. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

I am 63. I did not need glasses until I was in my early 40's. I wear bifocals and I can tell you that I shoot fine without any fancy accessories. You will adjust.

8. adjohns3

adjohns3 New Member

+1 more on this suggestions...fill the air with lead!:)