Old double barrel shotguns

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Nighthawk63, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Nighthawk63

Nighthawk63 New Member

I own 3 rabbit ear double barrel shotguns that can only use small loads because of the barrel design. Does anyone else own any kind of old double barrel with cocking hammers?

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've got my great-grandfather's old Henry Arms 12 ga. dbl. barrel shotgun. It's was made in Belgium around 1880.

Attached Files:

3. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

just picked up a thomas hooker 12 ga bores are in rough shape but the locks work fine(poped a few primed only shells)going to hone it out this weekend see if it still has enough wire wrap to be safe with bp or thought about tubing down to 20 cant have a safequeen it needs to go bang

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Are you saying its a damascus barrel? I'm not familiar with the gun.

5. Nighthawk63

Nighthawk63 New Member

Damascus barrel

some older guns were made with damascus steel and were wound and if you shoot new over 2 3/4 the barrel will unravel on you unless you do something modern to strengthen the barrel

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Imo a damascus barreled gun should never be shot. There is no viable way to guaranty it is safe. The potential for a pipe bomb situation is just too great.

7. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

point well taken thats why im thinking of letting briely make a set of tubes

8. akers06

akers06 New Member

I always heard you could shoot a damascus barrel but with low powered shells only

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Anything with a damascus barrel would be bp only. Even if you had documentation of exactly what they used for a load back then (unlikely) there isn't really any way to gaurantee the integrity of the barrel. It's just not safe. Even if you set the gun up in a vise and remotely fire it a few times there is no telling when it will fail and how catastophically.
    Besides if you have a nice old damascus barreled gun It's probably too valuable to risk.

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea If I had one I would prolly never wanna shoot it anyway

11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The 1880's Henry Arms shotgun I have says "Damascus Style" barrels, which my Dad says is different than having Damascus barrels. He used this gun to hunt pheasants and quails clear up into the 1960's using modern smokeless rounds, but says he quit using it when it started popping open when fired. :eek:

I use it only as a wall hanger now and my feeling is it should have never been used for anything other than blackpowder rounds. :cool:

12. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

G-dads,1910 Ithaca SXS 12...30" tubes,full/full....hammers

G-uncles 1922 LCSmith SXS 12....26",modified/IC...W/original case...hammer-less

Both were bought new.Handload for them.....don't shoot them near enough(light loads).Both are in VG to exc condition.Shopnut