old double barrel restore

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by lilrichthedragon, Mar 12, 2012.

1. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

I have my dads old double crack barrel 12ga shotgun and there is a deep crack in the stock any ideas on what to do also I don't have an ejector pin

2. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

little more info and pics?

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some of those old, fine, SXS shotguns should not be restored. If you can fix the stock or replace it, then go ahead.
    The barrels may not be so lucky. If Damascus, it is not safe to shoot or try to repair.

Make it look good and put it on display some where.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Need pics before we can give repair advise

5. lilrichthedragon

ok will have some by this weekend

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You might want to try that again.

7. lilrichthedragon

photos of shotgun

Attached Files:

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Unfortunately can't see that crack. Is it in the wrist? If its not too bad you can fill the crack with epoxy resin like is used in rifle bedding and clamp it back together. If its really bad you may want to cut it off at the crack ,clean up both sides ,drill a centered hole and insert a steel rod and then epoxy back together.

9. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

tape is on the wrist may be there. looks like it may be a side lock or are that plates? need more info and better detail

10. lilrichthedragon

phone being a pos. trying to send betters photos. and the crack is wrapped in electrical tape by my dad

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Let me guess you have an Android.

12. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

anything stamped or engraved on this gun? or is it worn off ? working on one like that myself now. better pics. pull the forend off and look for stamps or other clues patend date? manufacturer? importer?built in ?

13. lilrichthedragon

heres some more pics

Attached Files:

14. lilrichthedragon

any places online where I could find a extractor pin

15. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

for what? it is still a mystery! i can make you one with a sample

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I am still leery of the barrels.

If they are damascus and you load modern ammo in it, please put me in your will.

PLEASE list any and all markings before you start to restore or getting parts. Some of these older guns are worth more as is than restored. Some should not be restored due to safety reasons.

17. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

When I was growing up the family had a double with damascus barrels similar to the one above. My older brothers all used this shotgun for duck hunting. As it aged more and more often the action would open by itself after each shot. It got so bad they finally quit using it. I would never say to shoot any damascus shotgun but they all don't blow up on the first shot. If you ever shoot one you are taking a risk for sure. My family just happened to be lucky. To the original poster if you want a shooter buy another gun. If you want to fix it up so it looks better go ahead.